Author Topic: Rattan Bow  (Read 2931 times)

Offline neuse

Rattan Bow
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:19 am »
I am going to make a Rattan Bow for my nephew.

Questions about purchasing, I found some rattan suppliers on the internet, but I am not sure what to look for in the way of purchasing the right size or other purchasing criteria.

Or, does some one know a supplier that you could point me to?

Thank You,
Byron

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Rattan Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:30:37 am »
Cant help you with the infos you're searching but I'll sure love to see the pictures

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:22 am »
Talk to some of the guys that attended OJAM. Apparently they build lots of rattan bows for the kids that attend.
 I bought 2 rattan poles years ago, played with one but never finished the bow. I don't even remember who I got the rattan from.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:17:06 am »
I'm pretty sure cali bamboo has rattan
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
If you google "dean torges rattan bow" you will find a good article on it with suggested dimensions.  The supplier he lists went out of business last year I think - you could try Frank's Cane and Rush Supply, and there are some other suppliers that come up with a search.  Rattan is used by martial arts guys for whacking people over the head.  It helps to read the Torges article so you can describe what you need to the supplier if they are not familiar with bow making.  Rattan makes great kid bows!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:01:25 pm »
I would have to check with one of the guys that order the rattan for the OSS , they order it in long poles and have them cut down for shipping , usually 1 1/2"-2" across and 4' long , I think the poles are 12' before they are cut down .
Ralph took two that were heavy home with him and tillered them out a little better , one was around 44# and he took a turkey with it and the other came in at 52# and he took a doe with it .
We split the poles down the center and the round back of the pole becomes the belly of the bow and the flat becomes the back .
Mark Baker put up a vidio on UTube on OJAM 2015 , you can see use working on the rattan kids bows and kinda get an idea of where to start .