Author Topic: Huge vine maple  (Read 6589 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Huge vine maple
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 12:33:07 am »
Thanks for posting these pictures guys.  It's cool to see a completely different environment and the types of trees in it.  It's nothing like the area I'm in. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:54 am »
I wouldn't know Cascara if you beat me with it.  As far as an easy-working-wood, I've come to appreciate oceanspray when it is green.  It needs to be worked down anyway, otherwise it will check badly, and when it is green it carves like celery.  I've been clamping staves, green, into forms and letting them dry that way.  They bend easily.  Also, oceanspray makes great arrow shafts.  So almost every bush will provide something.

Like these guys.  I drive by these everyday.  I have climbed high and low to find good OS staves and this neighbor has these two monsters growing, ornamentally, in his yard.  He might as well have a safe full of cash laying open in his yard--the thoughts that have gone through my head.
Well this year these two beasts are not blooming--no leaves.  I'm thinking they got sprayed.  So I am poised to approach these people and ask if I can take them.
You might find heavier staves than these but you will not find a more prolific set of quality staves and shafts in a single plant than you see here.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »
Interesting, it does not grow so bush like here under the tree canopy, in clear cuts (that have not been sprayed) it will, but most are sprayed these days. With all the spraying going on, both Ocean spray and Vine maple over the yrs will become a lot less prolific....which is what the timber companies want, they hate both. :embarassed:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »
That is a big one. As big as the biggest I ever cut. It was the second vinemaple I cut and made my second bow from it. I didnt realize how rare it was at the time. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=28934.0

Bryce knows were to find Vine maple like that by the truck load.

Nice OS Steve!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso