Author Topic: Hawaiian Wood?  (Read 3528 times)

Offline PerimitiveHawaiian

Hawaiian Wood?
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:05 pm »
Hey there u guys, I'm from the island of Oahu Hawaii and as u can tell by my name I'm hawaiian. But I was just wondering if u guys know any type of wood on the island that would be a good bow wood? I don't wanna just chop down any tree. Leave your guys ideas so I can pick off of it haha Mahalo.

Offline PatM

Re: Hawaiian Wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:53:00 pm »
 Guava seems to be mentioned most often.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:54:07 pm »
Guava is an excellent bow wood. Nomadic Pirate lives in Hawaii and builds(or used to) beautiful guava bows, some pretty snaky.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:56:46 pm »
I have a guava spoon that was given to me by my bro in law, he just got back from Oahu. Im using it for tip overlays.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Limbit

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
A lot of species of acacia will make a bow...but it twists like mad, so dry it well first. Also, you probably have a lot of invasive Australian pine (Casaurina) growing there. Some subspecies of it will make a good bow if backed. Koa I would imagine to make a bow as well! What the other guys said is true though, guava is a great bow wood. Just take the bark off it and don't violate the sap wood layer and it will kick some serious arse ;-)

Limbit

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:20:55 am »
I looked into it on this list: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/trees/little_skolmen.html. There is actually a lot of usable or potentially usable bow wood in Hawaii I think. The types of Acacia you have would look amazing as a bow. There is juniper, loads of fruit trees that likely have potential and even a type of ash...although I would be hesitant to think it is any good on a tropical island. Sky's the limit. Just learn to id them and look for some usable wood, dry it and give it a go. You should also have plenty of usable fish skin, shark and ray skin at your disposal. Sounds like an unique bow adventure.