Author Topic: Traveling Cache  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Ghost Knapper

Traveling Cache
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »
Wanted to share the 2 images below. I found these....sadly just the pictures not the points hiding away in the recesses of my hard drive. The story behind this cache is that it was found 50+ yrs ago by a gentleman in a county not too far from where I live. They were found while clearing a patch of woods to be made into more farming ground. From what I remember (and not mistaken) the majority of the North Blades? are made of Flint Ridge chert. So that would mean that where these were found is over 200 miles away from the source. We were not able to remove the glass for the photos so the quality is not the greatest.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Traveling Cache
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:48:52 pm »
I'm probably wrong but I thought I read somewhere or heard someone say that there was no Documentation of native points made from Flint Ridge. That is a heck of a collection of points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »
There are a couple of holes in the ground that may disprove that theory. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:32:55 pm »
Cool. I was sceptical when I read/heard it. I couldn't believe they would pass up such good material.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:45 am »
Joel if that's the cache I showed you that wasn't all of them he told me the neighbor & his uncle took some of them also. If the plow wouldn't have broke down he wouldn't have found them . Eddie if that's the pic. I think it was they were found right next to our farm.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »
Nice looking points. Do you suppose they are finished? Or un- notched?
Any dating?
My X's garden had a cashe 250 Onondaga Meadowood preforms. !50 miles from the source.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:27:21 pm »
Mullet, That is funny, I have see n lots of points made of flint ridge, Roy miller has some killer authentic dovetails and the place is covered with pits from diggin for flint.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:28:32 pm »
Steve, I figured it was bull crap, I talked to Roy also but never saw his blades. I couldn't imagine anyone passing up that material.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 12:07:45 am »
I have only ever heard of one material that they did not use and its cause it came from deep underground gold mine. If it was on or near the surface they used it.  Its amazing the rumors you will hear about things.