Author Topic: So my new terrible idea!  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Blaflair2

So my new terrible idea!
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:52:01 am »
So I had a brilliant idea today. I'm putting my short Osage bow in the rafters as I'm frustrated with it. So I have all this sinew and some ipe and hickory. SooOooOoo I was thinking...

A R/D profile 50" ipe belly with a hickory "backing" while I tiller it a bit. Then sinew back it. I'm just wondering how wide I should go for? I was thinking somewhat wide, 1 1/2" with a narrower handle. I plan on almost a hybrid style longbow. Wel short bow. I'm thinking the sinew will stick to the hickory better than it ever would the ipe. What yall think? I'm not taking it to 28". It may be for the trade.  >:D
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PatM

Re: So my new terrible idea!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:56:50 am »
 You should just be aware that adding sinew on top of a wood backing strip can separate the two pieces of wood as the sinew shrinks in width.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:47 am »
Is there a way to prevent that? I also have ash and maple. I figured I'd make the backing 1/16" so it's basically an oil barrier.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 11:07:27 am »
 Hard to say. I have had it happen with Ash but not Maple. Probably something to do with how much the wood moves with added moisture and then shrinking again.
 Putting on the sinew in layers rather than all at once would likely help.
 The other option would be to sinew the backing strip first and then add it to the belly.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:13:02 am »
Hey BF,  I made a circle bend ipe backed with a SKINNY boo back (so no sinew) it was 49" and drew 65# at 25".....had to give it to a logger friend thats real strong.....well that bow wound up 7/8" wide at the center with straight tapers to 1/2" tips and the ipe was still pretty darned thin.

I'm trying to say that with hickory and sinew and 1-1/2" width you may have a bit of a problem with even STARTING to bend that baby >:D >:D. Just my experience though so take it for what ever it's worth.

If you use that combo maybe think in terms of 1" width tapering to thin tips and you may have to narrow it even more on account of keeping some ipe thickness. That bow ought to be a stone cold screemin meme.
rich

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:27:52 am »
Thanks for the input pat and rich! Backing the backing pat? Like cut the backing into a bow and sinew it. After I glued it together would I still get the sinews benefit.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
As long as the sinew is stretched when the bow is drawn it will work. You would make the double backing strip reflexed of course like a normal sinew backed bow.
 Just look at Marc's rescued Black Cherry and sinew bow as an example.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 05:47:51 pm »
Why the sinew?
Seeing all the bows on this forum, it seems sinew is mostly used on woods that bend easily (not so stiff woods like osage, yew, ERC and other junipers) matching the fact that sinew stretches easily. Much less so with hickory, even less ipe.
I figure you'd need much more sinew than on these typical woods to make the sinew work. As i understand it, sinew becomes most beneficial on short bows, while on longbow profiles it would mostly be "dead" weight.

But i might be wrong and learn something here.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:51:46 pm »
The bow is gonna be around 50". And the sinew will work on any wood. In the right configuration. I plan on backing the ipe for the sinew to stick to the backing better than the ipe like I already said. The sinew will draw and hold more reflex than the glued on backing and allow it to be drawn farther. Ipe is a great compressive wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »
Did you see the Magyar style bow of Sinew, Maple and Ipe a while back? Very light weight bow but showed how well the combo works.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:27:14 pm »
Won't the sinew/hide glue stick to the Ipe?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 06:43:14 pm »
It may DC. Buts it's so oily. Why take the chance when ya put in the time

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:09:19 pm »
Did you see the Magyar style bow of Sinew, Maple and Ipe a while back? Very light weight bow but showed how well the combo works.

No i didnt but looked it up, great tutorial there!
Thanks for the info
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43246.msg580831.html#msg580831

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »
Blaflair: thanks for the info. Yes 50" is short enough  8)