Author Topic: Sinew backed birch in progress  (Read 5792 times)

nailbender

Sinew backed birch in progress
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »
 Alright, here is my first attempt at a sinew backed bow. The wood is paper birch, it is 60" tip to tip, 2" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" at the tips. The last 2" of the tips are mildy bent to help with string angle. At this point I have the deer hoof overlays glued on and am preparing to sinew the bow.
  Front profile:

Side profile:

Tip overlay:

Ready for sinew:

My "double boiler", a glass pyrex bowl set in a pan of water on the stovetop:

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Sinew backed birch in progress
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:39:01 pm »

aaaahhh, another sinewing job in the kitchen! hope she doesn't come home too soon....  ;D ;D ;D

hey, good luck with your bow!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:41:34 pm »
Tell her its soup yer makin ;)
Hope it works out for ya.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:39:09 pm »
 Sinew job in a nice kitchen like that,, :o :o :o ,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,Been nice gettin to know ya  ;D ;D  Keenan

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:34:12 pm »
Once the swelling goes down (after the beatin she gives ya) Walmart sells a cool little electric popourie warmer, looks like a small crock pot. Keeps fluid at 140 deg.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:38 pm »
I wouldn't have put the overlays on right away but that's just me. I also do not finish the tips but leave them wide so that I can make adjustments if needed. Another thing is I always reverse brace my bows before I apply the sinew. Besides that sinewing is not a very hard thing to do so have fun
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:29:09 pm »
Wal-Mart....Kohl's.....or Hobby Lobby all handle them....I got this little Cheese Dip Warmer from ....Bed Bath and Beyond!!!! How Primitive is that!!! >:D  Once you are done for the night...just let it cool....put the Lid on....and stick it in the Fridge or Freezer....no muss .... no fuss.....and Guy's....I do all of my Sinew work in the Kitchen....in fact I am True Oiling my Sycamore Bow in the Kitchen right now....I like living on the Edge!! :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:10:58 am »
Dano, I have one of those little potpourri pots. Got the idea from David Knight(Gator). Works great...just don't let the guys see you with a flowery potpourri pot. ;D
  This looks like its gonna be a nice bow, Nailbender. I love the unbraced profile. 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 01:16:31 am »
Pat, I am fairly secure in my manhood, but thanks for the advice.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

nailbender

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 01:22:54 am »
 Well, now that I've gone about the whole thing backwards... :) I've got the sinew laid down. Now I play the waiting game. Luckily I have a couple of projects planned to pass the time.
 Actually, guys my wife doesn't care what I do as long as I clean up my mess. I did look at one of those little pots, but I like having a wider container to work with. Well now I wait. Will post more when I start working on this one again.
   Dale.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 09:46:39 am »
Looks like you are coming right along,my wife don't care either as long as it ant in her kitchen. ;D
Looking forward to more on this. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:48:49 am »
.....and Guy's....I do all of my Sinew work in the Kitchen....in fact I am True Oiling my Sycamore Bow in the Kitchen right now....I like living on the Edge!! :o

right on! only the strongest will survive ....ooor is it surWIFE in this case! so sorry, non-native-speaker-spelling-difficulties...  ;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...