Author Topic: ERC ELB  (Read 4477 times)

Offline chessieboy

ERC ELB
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:04 pm »
I was going over to a friends today to work on his osage bow, his first.  Then I remembered that he had told me of a cedar that had been nocked over by loggers some time ago.  He said it was mine if I wanted it  :D.  So I loaded the saw and now that tree is about 6' shorter ;).  I want to make an ELB from it but have questions as usuall.  I was thinking of making the handle 1-1/8 wide and 4-5" long.  Now from what I understand ELBs taper from there straight to the tips.  Is that correct?  The staves are about 70" long, about 4-5" across the back.  They have about 3/4" sapwood on.  I was hoping to leave 1/8 -1/4" sapwood on.  With a 27-28" draw and bending all the way through as I believe ELBs do, do you think 50 lbs is doable?  The staves look pretty clean except for a slight dogleg at the bottom 1/4.  Here are some pics.  Please give your opinions.

Sorry it wouldn't let me post with these in the attachments box.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: ERC ELB
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:02:25 am »
Yes, I'm sure it will take 50 lb, but you have to tiller it perfectly, or back it. Looks like some good wood.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:34:51 am »
Does look like good wood. Beware of KNOTS :o :o :o   I made an ERC ELB a few years ago with a knot on one edge of the stave. It blew at full draw. :o Very invigorating! ;D 
   I would back your ELB with rawhide or silk just for insurance.   I've seen some beautiful ERC bows and half of them were ELBs.      Looking forward to pis of the finished bow.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 02:42:12 am »
What He said!! I would use either Rawhide or Silk also....I prefer Rawhide....but thats just Me....I built a matching Pair of ER Cedar Bow's for a Mate of mine in Australia for His two Sons....and from what I hear....they are doing a fair job of Eradicating Australia's Rabbit Problems!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:43:07 am »
forgot this one

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:30:46 am »
I am interested in how this turns out,I cut some Sat. and it is as clean as any I have seen ,but it has a lot of sap wood,don't know what to do about that.The only ERC I have made that
held up was all sap wood so I may give it a try,has anyone else made one of just sap wood.
There may be enough heart wood in mine but ant sure.Good luck with yours.Nice bow Yankee.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:32:34 am »
Pappy ....if you ever get too much Cedar....you can always mail some this way.....I dont know where I could find a Piece of it here...let alone that Clear....good looking wood
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:56:49 am »
Got tons of it on my farm,not all that clean but lots of it.Where are you at ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:20:51 pm »
Hi All,  If you've seen my previous posts you know I like juniper bows and I think ERC is an enjoyable wood to work with. Staves dried outdoors are very attractive to wood wasps and damaged sapwood will need removing.   Otherwise, I believe that the only reason to remove sapwood from juniper is for cosmetics.  A bow built from a stave with thick sapwood will have very little of the colored heartwood in the finished bow unless some of the sapwood is removed first.
I second the suggestion for backing ERC bows, especially if the back has been worked down.  Just don't use too strong a backing.  Something like hickory or bamboo can quickly over power an ERC stave and result in a lot of set.  Remember that ERC is almost always has a fairly low specific gravity- there's just not as much wood in the wood as something like osage, so design your bow a little wider than you would for most bow woods.
Pappy- If I ever get to Tennessee you'd better have your wood shed locked.  Otherwise you wind up missing a few of those beautiful staves.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:38:44 pm »
Got tons of it on my farm,not all that clean but lots of it.Where are you at ?
   Pappy

60 miles North of Amarillo...in the Desert of the Texas Panhandle....in a little Town called Stinnett.....15 Miles from Water.............2 Miles from HELL

I would be glad to pay Shipping on a Piece or two big enough for some Native Bow's....let me know if you would Pappy..

Michael
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:16:25 am »
Dang thats some sweet looking wood Pappy...... :o
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....