Author Topic: the beautiful colors of osage  (Read 2690 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
the beautiful colors of osage
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:10:41 am »
Everyone who's working with osage knows it comes in a wide variety of colors, from bright yellow, orange, red sparkled, golden to brownish. Osage darkens in the sunlight to a fat dark chocolate brown after years. I have staves or lets better say blanks (ring chased and worked down to nearly dimensions) in my pile from fresh cut to years seasoned. The effect of darkening seems to go into the wood after decades of seasoning. I'm happy to have some of this old seasoned wood.

I'm currently working on several osage bows, here are three of them, all tillered out but no finish on. All have fresh worked surfaces. And here comes the interesting part:
From left to right

bow 1
24 hours before taking that pic this bow had the same color as bow 3. This bow is ammonia treated for one day and had got that rich golden brown. You can get more color when bow is longer in the fuming pipe, or by using a higher concentration of ammonia.

bow 2
on this bow is nothing no stain, no dye, no ammonia. This bow comes from a stave minimum 30 years seasoned. It has some olive color in it

bow 3
this is the usual color, a bright yellow, you get on most of fresh worked osage. I added that bow just for comparison.

Osage is great wood!

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: the beautiful colors of osage
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:16:05 am »
I have the impression you are the largest importer of osage into Europe  :P
Thanks for sharing!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:57:04 am »
I love osage that has that caramel look to it. Gorgeous wood Simon. It also add that Ive noticed the older the stave was when you started, the faster it darkens down. I had one that was in the 20 year old range. After completing the bow it was quite yellow again. But a year later it was very dark and looked like it was a 10 year old bow already.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:44:57 am »
On rare occasions I run into osage that darkens only slightly over time and keeps a dull yellow cast for years.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:05 am »
Simon, beautiful bows!
Osage is a beautiful wood. If I finish a  bow on Jan it is golden brown by September and often before that. I really enjoy watching the wood change color.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:17:06 am »
Nice pics Simon. I HATE yellow. I am so glad that Osage ages the way it does. It is my favorite wood and I love using it.