Author Topic: crepe myrtle arrows?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Dh88

crepe myrtle arrows?
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:08:52 am »
anyone made any before? i've heard they make good arrows and we have a pile of them down here. any help/info would be appreciated

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: crepe myrtle arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:14:27 pm »
I been wondering the same thing.  There was a pile of shoots sitting by the road I thought about picking up but I got so much cane I decided not to fool with it.  I'd say give them a try.  No harm in picking some up and playing with them when they dry.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Dh88

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:56:02 am »
i'm building a crepe myrtle bow so i figure cm arrows would be a nice pairing

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »

Yeah, there is a lot of Crepe Myrtle down here in Fla.
Let us know how the bow build goes.  It is a very hard wood!  I would imagine the grain is not for a beginner!
The arrows should pretty strong, but I would imagine they would be heavy.  Let us know how it goes with both projects.  An aside note, the leaves are supposed to be good for diabetics, when made into a tea.  I have tried it, and it is not unpalatable, but you could mix it with regular tea.  It is an Indian(India) herbal remedy, called Banaba, or something like that.  There are a couple of species of Crepe Myrtle, the ones in India, are huge, like the  Giant Sequoias. :o  Keep us updated. ;)
                                   Wayne

Offline Dh88

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:41 pm »
lots of it here in Georgia as well the problem was finding one that wasn't crooked as all get out or pruned to death.i should be able to finish my cm bow soon.i cut it in early 2014 split it and worked one half down to a rough bow shape. it let the roughed out bow season for about two months in my barn rafters then took it down to floor tiller.it has been sitting patiently in my house for the last seven months or so now