Author Topic: Little advice please  (Read 1740 times)

Offline DaveMac

Little advice please
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:55:38 am »
Hi guys I wanted to ask your advice in something that I have purchased. I'm struggling to find staves in the UK and have been working on board bows, but came to the conclusion I should try some laminate bows as the materials were easier to source. So I got some bamboo slats and ordered some osage billets from a company in the ROI, I was happy with what I got and intend to build a bbo when finished with my current project.

Anyway the current pound to euro rate is good so I thought I'd order more as they were cheap. However what has arrived today was not what I has expecting. They look like billets for a self bow to me.

Just over 36" long and just over 2" wide, one has a couple of pin knots in with some twist, one end and the other has a crack approximately 4.5" long on one end.

And from what I can see both seem to join up and were part of the same stave.

I'm starting to think what Ive got is better than what I thought I was ordering. Is this the case? Can I make a self bow with these? and if so how would you proceed. Ive Z spliced a handle on a board but that was square and this looks more difficult.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Little advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:21:52 am »
    I hav'nt built a billet bow in years. Those look like there perty nice billets. If you've already glued the billets together you've did one of the most important things you have to do. First off you need to follow a ring to get the back of the bow. Remember their not going to be the same unless their a matched set of billets.

If possable I always use the ring under the sap wood. Natural always works better.

If you've aready glued the billets together you've already did the hardest part. Forget about those pin knots their not any treath.

Now just pretend it's a board in your hand. Make some yellow dust.

One other thing I don't know if you know but some people can't work with osage. I can come in from my shop and my old lady can tell if I'm working on a osage bow. After a hour or so it makes my eyes red and puffy. I know someone can't make a osage bow. He breaks out with the first rasp (instantly).
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:35:29 am »
Thanks for the reply, I've not joined together yet I figured I be better chasing the ring first. They seem to be a matched set. I'm unsure how best go about joining together if I'm honest. I know z splice but do I square the handle up or rough out the limbs first.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:04:05 pm »
Hi Dave I'm afraid I can't offer advice but those billets look pretty good to me. I'm based in the UK too, can I ask where in Eire you sourced the Osage from? Good luck with em!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb