Author Topic: Osage Orange Bow Question for experienced osage guys?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Osage Orange Bow Question for experienced osage guys?
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:38:21 am »
I am currently making a 45 inch osage orange bow for my 23 inch draw and have re-curved the tips an plan to apply sinew in a week.
I have a couple questions first:

1)For a bow of this length with slightly re-curved tips would it help to deflex the bow as well?
2)The back of the bow has developed long cracks in the outer ring running from the tips to about 8 inches up the bow (1 on one tip and 2 on the other tip). Should I remove this ring and sinew or will it matter once it is sinewed?
3)How many layers of sinew should I use?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:18:04 pm by BrokenArrow »

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Osage Orange Bow Question for experienced osage guys?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:36:06 pm »
I would reflex the bow to about 4 inches
I cant see the cracks to make a judgement,, I am guessing the wood is a little green and the checks will be ok with sinew over them,, but just a guess,,
since everyone has a different idea of what a layer is,, I'm not quite sure what to tell you,, I think someone will chime in with a way to describe how much to put on,, as some put it on all at once and others layer,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:55:39 pm »
Apparently the wood wasn't dry so it checked when you uncovered the back. As long as the checks don't run off the bow you should be ok. I'd fill the checks with super glue. Add reflex like Brad suggested and don't deflex it. I usually add 2 or 3 courses of sinew, one at a time after the preceding course dries enough to see where the voids might be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »
That crack looks to go thru from top to bottom. I would definitely fill it with super thin velocity super glue before stressing it any further. It could have happened when you heated and flipped the tips. There's a vendor over on the big auction site right now that has Loctite 420 listed for $9.99 w/ free shipping. ;)
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »
So it sounds like I should reflex 4 inches first. I think I am about 1.5 inches now? Should I do that now or when it completely dries?
Then I wonder once that is done if I should just take off the outer ring which is slightly cracked as the bow would have to be reduced anyway from the belly as it is too stiff and I will have to add sinew as well.