Author Topic: Bow Night Starts Again with New Blood  (Read 17577 times)

Offline Dano

Re: Bow Night Starts Again with New Blood
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2008, 07:50:03 pm »
I don't wanna hear the bad news :(
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »
That is a pretty bow. You did a great job teaching.  That is a huge jump in weight.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2008, 07:52:07 pm »
Now for the bad news.  After resetting the brace on his string, he pulled the bow a few times and we heard a "tick" sound.  Never a good sound for a bowyer.  I checked the bow over and couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I put it on the tiller tree just to be safe.  After a few pulls, BAM the bow let go in the inner third of one limb.  I have a couple of pics, one of the broken bow and a closeup of the break.

In doing the autopsy, I think there are two things that contributed to the bow breaking.

One was the fact that there was a bark inclusion a couple inches inside the break that we left a little thick.  It was just outside the fades and should have been bending there, I thought we had a little bend but maybe not.  When the bow was 67" n/n I think we still had enough limb without this few inches of limb.

The second weakness, was something I did wrong.  When I was heat-bending the one billet to get rid of the dogleg, I accidentally scorched the back of the wood a bit in one spot.  You guessed it, the spot was right where the bow broke.  I've had trouble before, having the heat wrap around the blank when it is on the form and cause the back to get a little brown.  I had worried about the spot initially, but as we went through tillering I figured it was OK.  Apparently not OK when you have 60lb of stress on that short a limb.

What I think happened, was that the browned area became somewhat brittle and popped when subjected to the combined stress of a 60lb bow with a limb that was not only short but even shorter due to the thick spot in the inner limb.  If you look at the closeup of the break, you can see a few short breaks running perendicular to the length of the limb, right in the region that was the most scorched.

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed about this.  Jimmy took it in stride, he's an easygoing guy thank goodness.  We are getting together again on Tuesday to regroup and start another project.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2008, 07:55:25 pm »
By the way, I've had the problem of heat running around the blank on my form before.  How can I prevent this?  You think I'm holding the gun too close?  I know the heat is going on the under side of the blank along the bottom piece of the form, hitting the curved part of the form and scorching the back.  I've had it happen more than once, haven't had a failure due to it though.  I'm tempted to start doing my heating before clamping the bow on a form, or not using a base board under my curved form so there is no way for the heat to get trapped and funneled to the back of the bow.  I don't know, Gary Davis does it this way and I don't think he has this problem.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline DanaM

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2008, 08:06:44 pm »
wonder if you could mould some tinfoil to the back in order to protect it?
Lenny I've scorched the back of a few white wood bows doing the same thing.
Sorry to here about the breakage but at least he took it in stride.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:18 pm »
How close do you hold the heat gun? I hold it about 4-6" so's not to scorch too much.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2008, 11:27:29 pm »
Do you hold the gun or put it on a clamp or something? I have had that happen when I had something holding the gun beside my hand.  Keep moving it up and down the limb.  Crisco also helps to keep from drying out to much and scorching.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2008, 01:32:56 am »
That may be it, I hold the gun within an inch or two from the wood most of the time.  Guess I'm getting in too big of a hurry.  I feel worse because its not my bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 01:52:21 pm »
As sorry I am for you guys breaking it, I am grateful to have the oportunity to learn from it as well. I guess it even happens to those with experience.   God Speed on the next one guys.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 02:09:18 pm »
I hold the gun 4 or 5 inches from the wood and always keep it moving,I have scorched some a little but never really had a problem that I knew it caused,and you are right Gary dose it all the time and I have seen some of his scorched pretty good.Sorry about the failure,I'm with you it is worse when it is someone else's. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good