Author Topic: Long time storage dried snakeskins  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Bowjo

Long time storage dried snakeskins
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:58:24 pm »
I have several snakeskins I need to stretch and dry.What is the best way to store air dried snake skins for future use?How long will they last before they need to be used?.....Thank you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Long time storage dried snakeskins
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:23:44 pm »
Once completely dry I roll hem up and put them in a ziplock bag. They will last indefinitely like this. You have to be sure they are completely dry of mold will grow on them in the baggie. This time of the year most folks homes are pretty dry so it shouldn't be a problem to get them dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:22:25 pm »
I dry them, trim the excess, roll them, put them in a ziplock bag, and keep them in a fridge. I dont know how long they'll keep like that... it's been years and none have gone bad yet.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:59:21 pm »
I got a couple of skins from Gary Davis at the Classic a few years ago.....He had them in a long wooden box about 4" deep and 6" wide if I remember right.  Cool looking box, looked like he made it, he used a 2X4 on top of them.  Those skins were flat as a pancake. took up some space but the skins were flat and easy to see the patterns without unrolling them and possibly damaging them. If I had a lot of snake skins I think I would store them that way.
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:18:31 am »
Thanks everyone....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:29 am »
Like Pat said, get those suckers dry, dry, dry before storing them away.  I stretch them for several days until they feel dry.  Then I trim the edges and hang them up in my shop for several more days.  I wait until there has been several days without rain and then I roll them up and put them in a plastic organizer storage box like what you can get for fishing lures.  I keep that box and any other animal parts in a large tote with borax lining the bottom.  The borax is supposed to keep mites and bugs away.

Be careful using rubber bands to hold the skins in a roll.  They can deteriorate over time and melt to the skin.  I like to use twist ties.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left