Author Topic: What now  (Read 4794 times)

Offline DC

Re: What now
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:43 pm »
Somehow I got the impression that making a horn bow was more waiting than actual building. Am I wrong?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:33 pm »
Building a horn bow from what I have read is very very intensive process. I'd make a few sinew backed bows before jumping to horn. Get a feel for it
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 02:58:19 pm »
Somehow I got the impression that making a horn bow was more waiting than actual building. Am I wrong?

I believe there is lots of waiting time but also lots more work involved as blafair said
I like osage

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »
why does it seem that many bowyers do not find much interest in arrows? I enjoy making each, but it is the arrow that flies straight and hits the mark. One aspect of primitive skills that I would not give up is the collecting of the necessary materiel's, and the time spent outside in the wild.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 04:01:30 pm »
Give those away and start over!  ;)
+1
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »
why does it seem that many bowyers do not find much interest in arrows? I enjoy making each, but it is the arrow that flies straight and hits the mark. One aspect of primitive skills that I would not give up is the collecting of the necessary materiel's, and the time spent outside in the wild.

I quite enjoy making arrows and just finished a spurt of arrow making. I'm thinking that maybe flight archery is where I want to be. A guy can work on optimizing bows and arrows there.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 07:40:09 pm »
Give those away and start over!  ;)
+1

I'm looking for recipients. So far compound bows are king around here. My son is in the SCA and so I'm hoping to give some there.