Author Topic: Elm backed ERC  (Read 6847 times)

Offline beartail

Re: Elm backed ERC
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:34:10 pm »
I think you are right. tim baker said it a thousand times a rectangular cross section is just the best for inferior bow woods. and it's backed. I might eat my words but I think that bow will last a right good while.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »
Very nice bow

There was an older man here many years ago by the name of Matt Edwards who made a few ERC bows, I think mostly ALB's.  He would use only the heartwood to make his bows, unbacked.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 10:13:43 pm »
Nice bow!  Looks great!  Very well done.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 02:47:25 am »
Awesome bow, nice lines

Offline GB

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 03:03:46 am »
Thanks so much for the compliments.  I honestly am overwhelmed, especially hearing it from such skilled bowyers.  I like to think of myself as an apprentice bowyer (just starting my third year) and I've learned so much from the veteran bow makers on here and on TG.  And, man, I still have a lot to learn  :)

The backer is red elm from a board.  I borrowed the idea from one of TBB books.  I love the look of elm grain, but that stuff is my kryptonite.  I can't make a decent bow with it; had one chrysal and the other take a lot of set.  Maybe I'm just not there yet as far as working with elm.  Chris (PD) posted one from a stave awhile back that was absolutely stunning.  The grain in the handle looked like two eyes peering out.  Someday...  For now, I'm happy if it works as backing.

Roy(!) thanks for the ok!  I know for sure that this bow is gonna make it now  ;)  I got to get back to that lumberyard soon so I can send you that slat.  Thanks again, everyone.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:22:02 am by GB »
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 04:23:51 am »
Oh boy an OK from ol Roy....bom lol...looks great ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...