Author Topic: bow mounted quivers  (Read 7383 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
bow mounted quivers
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:59 pm »
Just looking for some advice on bow mounted quivers for hunting w the selfbow. Anybody have experience with them? And what type, strap on, slide on, screw on sleeve? Any major downfalls from these? Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow mounted quivers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:05:15 pm »
I've never liked a bow quiver on a selfbow. I did like one on my glass longbow and recurve but not my selfbows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:14 pm »
Any particular reasons why Pat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:48:13 pm »
To me it throws off the balance of a selfbow. Somehow it allowed me to shot my glass bows better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »
For stalking type hunting I only use a bow quiver but I wish I didn't have to.  When i used modern traditional I used the rubber strap on type with the big leather head.  When i switched to primtive I scaled down to the (Eagle FLight, I think) type which also strap on with velcro.  With the smaller type,  everything is smaller, including the space between arrows, and the space between your bow hand and the arrows. 
I usually carry only three arrows just so I have space to pull an arrow out without banging it on another arrow.  That cost me an elk once.  It was especially disappointing because it would have been my third elk in a row standing within 20 yds. of where I shot the other two.
But those velcro-on type are lightweight and compliment the lightweight selbows nicely.  I hate the velcro on my primtive bow so I replace them with leather straps with snaps. 

They are fine but I'm switching to a Steve Catts mountain hunter multi-use style where the feathers are covered and the arrows are pulled point first out of a side hole.   
But I highly recommend the strap on 3-arrow type.

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 07:31:30 am »
I build bows for deer hunting. I deer hunt from a tree stand only. For me, a bow quiver suits my needs the best. It allows me to get a quick flow up shot with the least amount of motion. I can hang my bow while sitting in the cold with both hands in my pockets staying warm (no need for bulky gloves)
All in all it is my favorite. Is it as "tradional" as a back quiver? No. Is it as primitave as a side quiver from your own buckskin? Not at all. Does it take away from the overall balance and feel of a selfbow. Yes and no. It takes some getting used to but I've come to prefer shooting with my quiver. Also they don't look horrible either. Just different.

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:37 am »
Will H,

What brand of quiver is that in your pictures?

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:15 am »
Great Northern strap on Patrick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:33 pm »
I use a strap-on type bow quiver on my flatbows for hunting. No better way IMO. Doesn't throw off my accuracy either. It absorbs some vibration, so it makes my bows quieter as well. Doesn't work on ELBs or bows with a narrow rounded belly however. I carry 3 broadheads and 1 judo while hunting... good for anything that comes up. Made by Thunderhorn... I think it's called The Small Fry trad bow quiver. It even looks nice.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:39:40 pm by adb »

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:07:22 pm »
Would like to see a close up of a homemade set up.  Hope to make a bow quiver in the near future.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:43:26 pm »
Look here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35971.msg472827.html#msg472827

The two wrappings should as near as possible to the handle, when possible in the rigid section.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:15:23 pm »
I prefer quivers on my bow. The brush on the west side of my state (WA) does not fair well with back, or side quivers, too much trying to get around brush tried it!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »
Thanks Simson for sharing that. They look good.  The fletching end holder was already on my mind. .. ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell