Author Topic: is abaco good wood for making a bow ???  (Read 2602 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
is abaco good wood for making a bow ???
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:21 pm »
okay so I found this would that is dark brown and from Brazil it is a hardwood and it is called Abaco and I am wondering if it is a good wood to make a bow from given that it has straight grain on the board I am trying to make a blew up board bow and all of the Ipe that I could fInd bad very poor grain quality but right next to it was this stuff called Abaco I have to BOWs that I have to makeand have shipped out before Christmas that I am selling and I do have a bunch of Mulberry staves but I can make in Abaco board bow a lot quicker so long as the wood is good so please if anyone has made a bow out of this would be for please let me know
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

Re: is abaco good wood for making a bow ???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:52:59 pm »
sorry for all of the typos I am speaking and texting on my phone .. i ment to say.  I am making a glue up bow from boards . not a blew up bow .. lol
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:29:43 pm »
never heard of it, cant get any maple,makes a great, fast bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:36:54 pm »
It looks like it compares to Ipe fairly well.

Specifications                              Abaco               Ipe
Density                                      60 lbs/ft3       59 lbs/ft3
Maximum Crushing Strength      11,619 psi       9,920 psi
Shearing Strength                      2,798 psi           2,396 psi
Work to Maximum Load          17 inch-lbs/in3       21 inch-lbs/in3
Janka Hardness Test*              3,190 lbs       3,680 lbs

Strength Properties       
Bending Strength (MOR)               29,200 psi        22,500 psi
Modulus of Elasticity (stiffness)   3,450,000 psi    2,920,000 psi

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:02 pm »
I'd build it like Ipe, Jesse.  What do you think you'll back it with?

I've made Ipe board bows with maple boards from the super store that worked out fine.  However, there is a guy that has a hardwood business in a big old shed up there.  I think its Alva hardwoods.  I found good quality hickory there with very straight grain I cut into 1/8 backing strips a few years ago.  Wouldn't be surprised if he had it again.  Of  course, if you can tap into some bamboo growing down here and plane it down!

Good luck.
1’—>1’

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 05:02:19 pm »
RR69 - Not to tell you how to do your business, ...but I'd be very VERY hesitant to SELL a bow made from a wood I did not know the characteristics of, especially if it were the first one or a few that I had made with such wood.  I'd want some time and experience with it first to protect my name and reputation.  ...not to mention the limbs eyes and bodies of my prospective customers.

The numbers that Autologus provided make me think Abaco MAY be a good bow wood, ...but I'd have to prove it to myself first, none-the-less.

OneBow

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 05:11:20 pm »
To me that data makes it seem hard and stiff but not very elastic and brittle. Which the elastic part wouldn't scare me as much as the brittle part of it. I would also be hesitant because it may make a good bow, awesome at that, but what if it doesn't last much more than 1000 shots? What if it is touchy to temperature or something? Just something to consider.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:58 pm »
RR69 - Not to tell you how to do your business, ...but I'd be very VERY hesitant to SELL a bow made from a wood I did not know the characteristics of, especially if it were the first one or a few that I had made with such wood.  I'd want some time and experience with it first to protect my name and reputation.  ...not to mention the limbs eyes and bodies of my prospective customers.

The numbers that Autologus provided make me think Abaco MAY be a good bow wood, ...but I'd have to prove it to myself first, none-the-less.

OneBow

Totally agree.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »
just so everyone knows I never sold those Bose I ended up moving up to Wisconsin