Author Topic: Ash board longbow  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Mazku

Ash board longbow
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:36:25 am »
My first try at a longbow, i've made a few flatbows before. This is a bow that was meant to be my target bow, I messed a bit with the tillering in the beginning so it came out at 20#@24". Since it's too light for i'm giving it to my little brother. In the pictures I'm pulling the bow. The bow is 62" long and a little over an inch wide at the grip.

Offline Dakotian

Re: Ash board longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:58:45 pm »
Well done, fine tiller and craftmanship. Some of my first bows were made of ash(green ash), it was an easy wood to work with though I stopped using it when I began making them too heavy for them to turn out well with the wood, it just wasn't as sturdy as I would prefer. Does it shoot well for it's weight?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:29:14 pm »
Neat bow! Looks like a smooth shooter. We'll look at it again for Jan Self Bow of the Month consideration.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »
Your little bro looks pleased, good job.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mazku

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:48:29 pm »
I'm the one pulling the bow in the pics  ;D

But this happened at the archery practise today:

Can I pull that bow?

Sure but you can only draw it 24"!!

Boooooom!!!

Last time I EVER let anyone else pull my bows.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:22:09 pm »
Nice bow. To bad it broke. Dont let anyone pull it back without an arrow cut to length. Then they cant overdraw. 
Well now you get to make another. ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 05:53:33 pm »
nice looking bow, too bad someone broke it.   i have had the same happen to me before. i had a maple bow and a friend wanted to shoot it so i told him i would instruct him. well my phone rang and while i answered it he got impatient and helped himslef and i turned around just in time to see him pullin it back below his jaw like a compound and before i could even yell,--- kablammo    served him right tho, the top limb caught him in the forehead and he ended up bunching himself in the cheek, needless to say he is no longer allowed to handle my bows. if someone ever wants to see a bow i unstring it first, because they just gotta try and pul it back..........    whats even better you would be suprised how many people will see you unstring it, hand it to them and they still try and pull it back with the string looped over the limb, those are the same guys that hold it upside down or with the back facing them.

keep up the good work, im sure you got plenty more good ones to come- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 06:49:50 pm »
That was a sweet looking bow, to bad it broke. I don't usually have that problem. I draw to 29 1/2" so there aren't very many people that will overdraw my bows.  But that don't mean you don't watch them close and explain the rules before you let them look at it.  They will still dry fire or drop it or stick the tips in the rocks.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah