Author Topic: Bandsaw Use--Revisited:  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Comancheria

Re: Bandsaw Use--Revisited:
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 07:49:12 pm »
Jim and Badger: Yes--I've run across that site and will definitely go back on your recommendation. 

Jim: the problem (please note the happy faces:😃😃😃😃😃, is that I hear guys like you say things like--

"It's easy!  All you do is saw the frame in half with a plasma cutter, temper the end of the top in boiling whale oil, MIG weld it to the frame of an Abrams tank, hone down the cross-threaded whatchamaguffin so that it will accept a beveled clackapawhatchit (readily available from Nepal),  and build your own gears from melted down Volkswagen keys."  More happy faces: 😀😀😀😀😀. Good Lord, Man--imagine if I called you into a room and assigned you to explicate in 10,000 words or more, the use of Greek Mythology in James Joyce's "Ulysses"!

But all joking aside, you are quite right--If I am going to do this stuff, I am going to need to upgrade my skills.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
  Thats a good web site Jim, I never have any problems finding common parts for old machines. Somethings like switches and motors can be pretty generic.

Even the uncommon parts can be found thanks to the web. Those guys at OWWM (I'm one of them) never throw away a usable part from a parted-out machine.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »
Comancheria, On most bandsaws, the ability to cut metal is just a matter of a change of the blade and maybe some tension adjustment.  As long as you're not cutting anything large, the heat generated by cutting can be controlled by dipping the workpiece in water from time to time.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 10:05:09 pm »
When cutting metal you also need to use the slowest speed set up on the pulleys.
             Hamish

Offline Drewster

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 10:43:17 pm »
Russ, Jim has made some excellent points.  I have a  1 1/2 hp 14" Delta that is several years old and I paid about 1/3 the new cost for it......from Craigslist.  If you're patience and resourceful, you can find a good machine at a reasonable cost.  And a GOOD machine will need less repair anyway.  I doubt you will ever be sorry that you took your time and found a quality machine.

I use my saw for roughing out split staves and reducing it to a floor tiller form.......and many, many other uses......huge time saver as has been mentioned above.  A 1/2" 3 tooth blade works well for me.  Like Pat B mentioned, I use my saw to reduce the bulk then switch to hand tools.

Go for a good one.  You won't regret it.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 11:26:40 pm »
Hamish, mine is not the "VS" model (variable speed) so I only have one setting on the pully.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »
My thanks to everyone who chipped in and answered my questions.  As I said, I have time and wll definitely look over the site and forum dealing with older machines.  I have a book by Nick Engler titled "Using the Bandsaw", which includes a plan for buildimg your own variable pulley system for speed control.  Thanks again.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
Having just submitted my application to join the OWWM forums--and having read a few recent threads, I am struck once again by how possible it is to be hard core on so many subjects.  And it is also wonderful--were it not for the various "hobbies" relating to old woodworking, old metal working, antique tractors and gas engines, old cars--and yes, primitive archery--the tools and techniques would be lost in short order.  The passion of enthusiasts keeps knowledge alive.  For all I know, there may be a discussion group dealing with ambushing wild hogs with homemade flint knives.  And if I were closer to 30 than I am to a hundred--I just might join!😃

Russ