Author Topic: Rhododendron?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Billinthedesert

Rhododendron?
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:15:55 am »
I can't recall seeing this shrub evaluated for its bow potential. In the wild it can get 20 feet tall or taller.
Anyone played with it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rhododendron?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:33:52 am »
I've never tried Rhodo. I do have lots of it growing on my property. I did send a Mountain Laurel(Kalmia latifolia) to Black Hawk last year but haven't seen a bow from it yet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:37:25 pm »
Been wanting to try it, there is some toxicity involved so beware.  Better give 'er a shot and see how it goes just don't lick your fingers

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:42:51 pm »
Just found this on Paleoplanet, sounds like eastern US rhody, but it shouldn't be terribly different I'm guessing, the stuff seems pretty dense.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/418173/Re-DR-Rosebay-Rhododendron#.VKG_a7gw8

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »
Thanks Coos. I see I commented on that very thread three years ago. Amazing the stuff I forget.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:28:25 pm »
Hi,

This is kinda off topic a bit but I have used Rhodo to make several NA Style Flutes...hard but beautiful stuff...I always put a non toxic mouth piece on it though...  And of course with all the evergreen type wood...wear good breathing protection.  BTW...it carved well for me using flexcuts.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:45:47 pm »
Rand, I was impressed with how nicely it whittled back when I was helping cruise old-growth redwood timber as a high school kid circa 1970. Don't you think that, once dried and finished it would not present toxicity issues?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »
I'm building one now, coincidentally.  Its a 55" reflexed stave that I've had a couple years.  I didn't do a bend test; instead I decided to just screw around with it to practice some new techniques that I want to try, namely, concave belly and a new way to sinew.

Despite the questionable belly scooping, I think the wood has great potential just because of the tillering abuse I've put it through and yet no sign of set.  In the future I'll use orthodox technique to test its true potential.

So here's pics of it before heat treating, flipping tips, or sinewing.  The last pic shows the results of all that and sinew was just applied yesterday so it will be awhile before bending occurs.......

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:17:53 am by steve b. »

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:36:01 pm »

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:34 pm »
Steve, that's a fascinating bow you built. Can't wait to see her bent.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 12:43:51 pm »
Me too, look at the reflex on that baby!