Author Topic: Sinew over rawhide?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Sinew over rawhide?
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:44:07 pm »
I have a little Osage bow I've been working on that I formed into a little bit of a reflex/deflex shape. The plan for this bow is to back it with sinew. But when I took it off the caul I noticed  that it lifted a splinter just past the fade on the back.

My question is can I put a patch of rawhide over the spot and then sinew over that? If I can,  should I apply them both at the same time? Or can I put the rawhide down then after it cures put the sinew over that? Thanks, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew over rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:01:55 am »
Patrick, if you are going to sinew back the bow anyway go ahead and sinew it now. That will take care of the splinter also. If you want to tiller the bow out some before adding the sinew you can do a temporary patch with the rawhide but remove it before adding the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:59 am »
Thanks Pat, that's just what I needed to know. I think I will patch it and get the tiller to about 20 inches. Then remove it and add the sinew. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:23:21 am »
Super glue that splinter first.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:56:02 am »
I already did Pat! Patrick

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »
  I'm totally with pPat.  If anything, glue the splinter and put one layer of sinew smoothly over it, THEN sinew back the
whole thing.  But, you likely don't even need that, just the sinew you were going to put on anyway.