Author Topic: ash bow  (Read 5605 times)

Offline PatM

Re: ash bow
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 03:57:04 pm »
Any other guesses? Red Elm maybe?
 I've seen Bitternut Hickory with similar sap/heart ratio but bitternut always seems to have  a slight waviness to the circle of the growth rings.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »
I cant tell, the yellow part looks like osage or mulberry ,,but like mentioned  the sap wood pin nots are different,,, doesnt look like ash,,

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »
That kinda looks like elm of some kind.  I just did a some research of what's in my area and could be slippery or Siberian.  Just a thought. I could see how someone might think the bark was similar when cutting.  Don't know. :)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »
No guess from this guy. I do know that 45# is plenty to hunt with. Sounds like you are at "the hunting bow maker stage " already if ya ask me. ;) Whatever kind of wood it is, good luck with it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:25:12 pm »
I think this could absolutely be black ash (Fraxinus nigra). Surprised others are so sure its not.

I would follow Pearly's advice and get down to the heartwood.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 06:34:43 pm »
Looks very mulberry like with all the pin knots on the back side. I

My thoughts also with a heavy amber/varnish sealer
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 06:42:53 pm »
Yes not white or green ash for sure!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 06:46:44 pm »
I am definitely no expert!  I cut some black locust that doesn't look a lot different than that except the sapwood layer is thicker on your stave than mine were.  Mine had lots of pin knots too.  There may be something about it that definitely rules out black locust with the more experienced guys but that's the closest guess I could make.  And it's just that a wild guess. 

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 06:59:46 pm »
  I agree with it likely being mulberry.  COULD be elm, as elm saplings often have lots of pin knots and tiny pointy bumps.  COULD even be yellow locust, which is usually pinker and not so dark, and has kind of kinky grain, but I have seen especially dense wood from medium-sized trunks have very reddish, dark heartwood.

I have never seen and handled black ash.

Either way, i agree with half-parallel-half-tapered flatbow design.  When you go to shape it, cut a square or round dowel about 10 cm long from the upper corners where you side taper the limbs and find out the S.G of the wood.  Then we can help you more with design.

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 08:45:31 am »
The first thing that popped in my head before I read everyone's comments was..that ain't ash,and it looks like red elm....then my second guess was maybe its Kentucky coffee tree ..it looks a LOT like it as well....I'm pretty sure that ain't black ash,black locust,or mulberry folks....one way to tell if its red elm or Kentucky coffee is to put a black light on it...if it glows a flourescent yellowish green its Kentucky coffee tree..if not its more than likely red elm.

Can you please give more info,as I don't think there's a 100% conclusion and consensus as to what you have....WHO did you buy it from,and WHERE does that person live? Was it the guy with the white chair?  I've seen him sell elm and Kentucky coffee tree.

I'm actually leaning more towards Kentucky coffee due to the more off white sapwood,the color of the heartwood,and the look and texture of the wood...BUT red elm can be like that as well

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
to me it looks kind of like red-bud, but that is unlikely as most people don't cut it and red-bud is normally really twisted.
but redbud is part of the locust family.

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »
 I  have never seen the inside of a Black Ash tree.

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 04:56:25 pm »
Blackhawk I'm not sure who I bought it from as it was about 2 yrs ago when I did. I know that I have bought from the guy with the white chair as that is where I got the wood for the other post I have going right now about a red elm and where the knot is. On the side of the piece of the wood the person wrote ash 12/12 and on the red elm was written red elm 12/12 there were 4 sets of billets. I don't think its osage as I have gotten a staff of that and it doesn't look like that. I've never had anything else except red oak from lowes. I'm gonna go with 68" to 72" with 2" out to the last 10" then taper to 1/2" at the tips.
Tattoo Dave as for the hunting bow comment I just meant that my skill so far isn't up to making a bow that is that good of quality. Thanks for the replies.
I make mistakes but I learn.