Author Topic: rawhide backed takedown question  (Read 2826 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
rawhide backed takedown question
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:38:30 pm »
Hey,

I am working on a rawhide backed yew,  takedown.    The draw weight is supposed to be 75 lbs,  which is pushing the comfort level for me.

I have the billets fit into the takedown sleeve but not glued yet.  I was wondering about putting on the rawhide first,  and then refitting to the sleeve.   With the idea of having the rawhide support the transition out of the sleeve,

wondering if anyone has tried this,  or thinks it is a good idea or not?

thanks
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Weylin

Re: rawhide backed takedown question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:27:00 pm »
Here is my rawhide backed yew takedown. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46696.msg637091.html#msg637091

I didn't have the rawhide extend into the brass fittings but this bow is only 58#. I put my rawhide on this bow less for the added tension strength and more for protection in the field. I don't think it is a bad idea though. I can't think of a reason not to. I would advise you to not leave a lip of wood around the edge of the handle to hide the transition. I have seen it work fine and I have seen it cause problems. If you are pushing the limits with this bow I would make sure the limbs flow into the fittings smoothly for added integrity.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:07:38 pm »
Rawhide doesn't glue well to metal with the glue you would typically use for a take-down sleeve.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:26:33 pm »
I've done it with bamboo and it worked fine. Are you using smooth on epoxy for the sleeve, if so I don't see any reason not to extend the rawhide into the sleeve.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 12:23:44 am »
Rawhide doesn't glue well to metal with the glue you would typically use for a take-down sleeve.

Huh, wasn't aware. Good to know. I use the smooth-on epoxy. is that the case with it as well?

Offline bowmo

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:57:51 pm »
Smooth on bonds to rawhide quite well. I of course don't use it to put on the rawhide, but I do put the rawhide on the back first and then grind the tips down after so that my tip overlays very slightly extend over the edge of the hide when I glue them on (with smooth on). I do this so the string can't ever grab the rawhide and peel it up when unstringing the bow. As for the handle  would certainly put it on before gluing up the sleeve and refit the handle if you still have the option.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »
  rawhide with glue dries up pretty darn hard.  if it extends into the sleeve as part of the general shape of the bow you'll be fine.  You'll be fine if it doesn't, too, as long as it extends well into the back opposite the fades. 

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 02:52:02 pm »
My vote is for continuing the rawhide into the sleeves. And like Weylin mentioned, shape the fades so that you have a smooth transition from the limb into the handle.  I know of a couple of yew take-downs that lifted splinters due to an abrupt shoulder where the wood meets the metal sleeve.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 04:55:33 pm »
You can have a shoulder to hide the transition from the wood to the sleeve, except for the back.
Gordon

Offline Richard B

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 02:18:39 pm »
i did a test to look at the whole shoulder vs no shoulder question http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49047.msg669598.html#msg669598

Results not quite as conclusive as I'd hoped, but seemed to suggest that you are better off without a shouldered joint (even only on the back and sides)