Author Topic: Shipping to Alberta  (Read 3088 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Shipping to Alberta
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:49:30 pm »
Anyone ever shipped a bow from the states to Alberta? Any advice on getting a bow and arrows through customs?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Shipping to Alberta
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:00 pm »
Remove the bark. And call it Arts and Crafts Supply on the Customs form. Also keep the value down, it's just a piece of wood ::), so the recipient doesn't get hammered on import taxes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:20:27 pm »
I have shipped all sorts of stuff there, just never a bow, with a sinewed back, and arrows, with Turkey feathers. My Great Aunt once sent Christmas gifts to my sister, and put on the claims form "Gifts", it arrived opened (Of course), one of the cookies had a bite taken out of it when my sister opened it!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:12:07 am »
Expect to pay a good amount and expect it to take a long time to get there.  I had one take more than a month to make it through all the customs hassle.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 05:00:17 am »
i personally have received all sorts of wood and animal parts from the states with very little hassle. knock on wood....
even got some ERC with the bark on which kind of surprised me. for sure put something like "native american replica art"

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »
It should be going out this next week. I normally don't have a delay on shipping things to my sister. We shall see.  :-\

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:32:40 pm »
I think you will be real lucky to get the feathers and the bow with sinew on it through Customs. I've been in Customs at the airport in Edmonton and watched them sieze all leather products(gloves) and anything with feathers, (dream catchers).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
I would label it ornamental art bow
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 08:06:25 pm »
Try labeling it "Cocaine" and see if they have a sense of humor >:D >:D >:D

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »
Try labeling it "Cocaine" and see if they have a sense of humor >:D >:D >:D

I already get searched every time I fly there. I bet I am on their "List"

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:58 pm »
I don't think it matters much what the label says.  With the imaging equipment available these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they scan everything that comes through.  If the description doesn't match what they see on the scanner, it's all the more reason for them to open the package and have a peek.

I just got some snake vertebrae from Cip a couple weeks ago.  Made it through customs no problem, other than the fact that the jerks opened all of the nicely bagged bones (clear sandwich bags... apparently they had to open them because they couldn't see through the plastic), and then they just dumped them all back into the box loose...

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:19 am »
I only ask about the customs declaration due to previous issues I have had. Oakley wont ship repaired glasses to Canada. My BIL buys them in the states because they are much cheaper here. After returning home after a trip that he bought glasses, he had a leak in the basement. He ran down with his glasses on his head and scratched the lens on the duct work. He shipped them in to get fixed, and had them shipped to me. I shipped them back and put on the customs form that the package had glasses, and the value. It got held up because they wanted him to pay duty on them, even though he already had when he crossed back into Canada a month or so before. When I have shipped anything else I have never had an issue, even when there was things other than listed. I mostly ship toys and snacks that they don't sell in Edmonton.
I just wanted to get some first hand experience from members here. If it does get stopped and denied i'll just take it up when I drive up this summer. I would just love for him to be able to open it for Christmas. 

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 02:37:16 pm »
The bow and arrows arrived in Edmonton after only 6 days. Unopened by customs. Reading the list of items that they don't allow, only wild bird feathers was on the list. Sinew, horn, bone and snake skins were all allowed. I ended up using store bought fletchings due to this. Good to know I guess.