Author Topic: Tree id help  (Read 2617 times)

Offline mhof86

Tree id help
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:29:07 am »
Hey guys Have a couple trees we are taking down and I am wondering if you might be able to help me with identification.

First one broke off half way up the tree a while back so we are just cleaning it up. Probably 8-10" diameter at the base and straight with no branches for first 8' or so. The pictures of the new growth and leaves are from a tree right next to it that looks identical as far as the bark goes. The bark came off with no effort and was papery underneath. It also had some lines under the bark from beetles or something.

Offline mhof86

Re: Tree id help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:08 am »
Couple more photos.

Second tree is hanging over some power lines and needs to come down (hopefully before the first bad ice storm). There was so many different leaves and nuts on the ground from other trees around it would have been a crap shoot to try to guess at which were from this tree.

I know its not much to go on. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:03:24 am »
The leaves in the first couple are from white oak and I think the other with the scaly bark is black cherry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:31:00 am »
What Pat said, the leaves are White Oak but the trunk and skinned up trunk after the picture of leaves isn't. :) :-\ I also think the last one is Cherry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:54:44 am »
White oak and black cherry.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:16 am »
White oak leaves, the scraped split one looks like a Quacken Aspin and the last one looks like Black birch or  possibly a Cherry, Don't know your location maybe not far enough north for black birch. My .02 worth Bob

Offline mhof86

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:37 am »
Could that first one be cottonwood?

I am southeaster MI Bob. That probably would have helped in the first post  :-\

Thanks for the help guys the black cherry berries look very familiar for that part of the fence line. I just don't remember for sure seeing them on that tree. Given the information though and your help I will bet on black cherry.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:12 am »
The leaves are white oak. I don't know what the smooth bark is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 10:19:34 am »
It's still a white oak IMO, the smaller branches are smooth on the ones up here. What does the cross section of the tree look like for the second? Still say it's BC
Nothing ventured nothing gained

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:22:20 am »
Leaves are white oak in the first pics..then your showing shots of a quaking aspen...and the last is black cherry. So your showing 3 diff species of trees...so which one is it exactly? The only one maybe worthy of bows IMO is the white oak....but if its been dead awhile from being sheared off,then I'd skip it and not waste my time IMO.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:01:10 am »
I agree about the first two but the third looks like it could be either black cherry or river birch to me.

SOM

Offline mhof86

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 11:47:28 am »
Blackhawk - The white oak pics were included because the tree that I am trying to identify was dead and had no leaves. It was growing in a small group of three trees and the other two are white oak (thank you guys for getting me this far) The next couple pictures of smooth bark are of the actual tree being taken. To me, being very new to trying to identify trees, the bark from the dead tree looked very very similar to the other two in the small group.

Quaking aspen from a quick google search doesn't seem to fit. The third, fourth, and fifth picture are from the same tree. The bark above were it broke off appeared different than below the break. Maybe disease or something? The section above the break seemed extremely degraded but below the break the wood was still alive.

The last one black cherry will probably be destined for the smoker if its not worth saving for a bow.