Author Topic: Amrican elm types?  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Amrican elm types?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »
Jeffp51,   I make a lot of bows out of red elm (slippery elm) saplings, because I can cut as much as I want in my neighborhood, and all around.   It's ok, but as Marc mentioned VERY variable.  I've had wonderful wood, and then really very marginal wood from it, even in the same thicket.  Some was dense and springy, with thick rings and hearty sapwood, and some was fine ringed, almost punky, and very light.  I like making lumpy flatbows out of it, and I believe any eklm is bow wood, but I guess not any tree is.... O:)

One thing to remember is that most elms seed early in the year and the seeds blow and volunteer everywhere.  So elm spreads fast, and you often find several species together along a waterway, for instance, because of seeds that came out of yards etc.   I know I have a patch of volunteers growing in a thicket in a vacant lot near my house that has at least two species growing mixed.  On has bigger, rough leathery leaves and leafs out later, makes fewer seeds, and better bows.

That said, the elms with the small heartwood, lots of sapwood, and thick rings do make better bows.  I haven't used all species, but rock elm is the best I have used.  Any specie found in someone's yard might be found growing wild nearby.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:28 pm »
this one might be Siberian elm--at least Jojo who also has a piece thinks so.  It has nice thick rings, so maybe I will be optimistic.  Do you use the heartwood, the sapwood, or both (yew longbow style) on your bows?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 09:43:12 am »
I would use American elm or elm that does NOT have red heartwood.  Lumberyards that carry "American elm" will hopefully show you boards that do not have drastically contrasting heartwood/sapwood.

Other names for American elm:  White Elm, Water Elm, Soft Elm, or Florida Elm.

Hmm, maybe i'm off on my identification, but every American Elm i've harvested has red heartwood, in fact i look for it (the red heartwood).  Around here they call it Cedar Elm, but as I understood it that was a local name, Marc seems to have the right of it though.  My elm bows have been my best performers, especially in highly strained designs that elm lends itself to.  Maybe it's not American Elm (bummer...Murica!!! :P), but I'll keep harvesting and  using it like it's going out of style!

Don't trade that puppy!  Make her into a shooter!!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:49:15 am by k-hat »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: American elm types?
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 09:48:38 am »
American Elm does have some heartwood that can have a reddish tint.  The difference is that Red Elm will have a large amount of heartwood, sometimes with nothing more than 1/2" of sapwood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline k-hat

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 09:52:10 am »
Thanks for that clarification Marc, even the ones with a lot of red heartwood that I've harvested have an inch plus of sapwood. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
This is typical of the heartwood in a decent stave sized American Elm.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 11:05:05 am »
Perfect pic, Pat.

Most of the elms I have available are red elm species, as I said, but the mostly white wood elms are better.  Sometimes I cut something that looks like the niormal low grade stuff, but it has 1" plus thick sapwood, and big rings, and that's what I like.  Like on your log, Pat, it would be half and half, and that is good stuff.

Offline okie64

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »
Ive only used winged elm and it is great bow wood. Its like a heavier version of hackberry. It varies from tree to tree as far as the amount of  heartwood it has. It usually looks about like Pats pic.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 06:20:54 am »
  I just yesterday, after my last reply went and cut a log about the size of Pat's, and it has 1-3/4" dia heartwood, and 1-1/4" sapwood all around.

It only has 16 growth rings, and that is the stuff I like.