Author Topic: Ocean Spray shoots  (Read 2805 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Ocean Spray shoots
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
  I have some Ocean Spray shoots coming my way green with bark on...Anyone with experience working Ocean Spray into arrows? Never worked it and would like some info...Don't want to ruin them...
                           Leave bark on while drying?
                           Strip bark while green?
                           Heating and straightening?
                                                                       Thanks in advance, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

Re: Ocean Spray shoots
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:22:55 pm »
I strip them when green except for the ends. A few extra straight ones I left the bark on with the idea of making an arrow with the bark on. They straighten well with a heat gun. Some of the kinky ones took a half dozen tries. I had to let mine dry for 3 or 4 months(bark off) but I live right on the coast and we has a very humid summer. I've heard of them checking. None of mine showed any sign of checking but we had the humidity.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »
  Thanks for your input DC...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline helmet

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:40:04 am »
When I made some, I left the bark on while they dried. The ends checked a bit. I recall them straightening fine after they were dry and using heat. Ocean spray is real stiff, so I went on the narrow side for my arrows.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:46:52 am »
  Thanks for the response helmet and welcome to PA...Are you a Pacific North West guy?
                                                                                                                                  Don

Offline helmet

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:25:10 pm »
Yes I am, Willamette Valley!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »
I seal the end of mine and leave my bark on them for a few weeks.
I bind them in groups of 5 or 6 and use zap straps. Every few days I do hand straightening session and rebound them up.
Then I strip the bark down but leave the last inch or 2. I weigh the bundles every week till they stop losing weight for a week, then I'll startmaking arrows. about 3-4 months. OS makes a really heavy and durable arrow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »
 Thank you Wizard, I have a half dozen that Steve b. sent me...I'm not used to using Pacific North West wood but he is definitely introducing me... OS is some dense super strong wood, AKA Ironwood...East Coast S.C. doesn't have OS that I'm aware of ;) Thanks for the info guys...
                                                                                                                       Don