Author Topic: Lightening bamboo shoots  (Read 3123 times)

Offline DC

Lightening bamboo shoots
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:21:33 pm »
Is it possible to reduce the spine on a bamboo shaft by reducing the diameter? When I buy a package of 25 garden stakes I get half a dozen good stakes, a few that are too light and the rest are too heavy. I'm just concerned that trying to plane or sand them down would result in a weak spot. I could make the heavier ones longer to reduce the spine but then you wind up with a hodge podge of arrows.

Offline punch

Re: Lightening bamboo shoots
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:41:44 pm »
No you cannot remove anything to reduce the spine.  I find that if you are super careful you can pull the bamboo stakes out of the bag they are in by the holes they use to keep air flow.  So you carefully pull them out without damaging the bag.  I suspect you bought more than one bag of stakes.  You sort through the stakes and carefully refill the bags with the ones that don't work for you.  Take those bags back to the store and return them.  Buy new bags of stakes and repeat the process. 

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:46:52 pm »
I thought of doing that but I chickened out ;D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:41 pm »
So you carefully pull them out without damaging the bag.  You sort through the stakes and carefully refill the bags with the ones that don't work for you.  Take those bags back to the store and return them.  Buy new bags of stakes and repeat the process.
Good idea!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:35 pm »
I tried sanding some bamboo down on a belt sander to reduce the spline.  It worked for a few of them, but one of the arrows must have had the center hole off-center.  First shot the bamboo arrow folded up like a cheap suit.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:03:11 am »
I scrap them lightly with a scraper in the center 2/3 and can reduce the spline several lbs with out effecting the arrows integrity.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:52 am »
Those stakes are Tonkin, they are very tough. You can scrape and sand them and not hurt a thing. Just seal them up real good after you finish.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:38:31 pm »
Art Butner used to make his cane arrows with even spine on all sides by scraping and sanding them so yes you can.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC