Author Topic: brace height  (Read 1974 times)

Offline jayman448

brace height
« on: November 27, 2014, 01:14:04 am »
can you over brace a bow? I have I little fiberglass that when I put a string on (the only string I have that's about right) the lowest brace I can get is about 7.5 inches. can this higher height hurt a bow?

mikekeswick

Re: brace height
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 02:48:40 am »
Yes  :)
If it's glass it's unlikely to break but you can induce more set just like a wooden bow. For a wooden bow it's not a good idea at all to increase brace height. As a rule of thumb always use the lowest brace height that give clean, silent arrow flight. Also the higher the brace the slower the arrow.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 05:09:15 am »
okay. thanks a ton bud

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:37:19 am »
 Jayman, how long is the bow? With f#@!&%! I used to like them that high...Like Mike said keeping to a minimum is great, less wear and tear and better performance as long as it's not to low.
                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 01:19:15 pm »
seems if you had a longer string it would go lower,, my rule of thumb is ,,,, as low as it will go and get good arrow flight,, it does put quite a bit more stress on the limbs to brace it higher,, it will increase the weight,, but your cast will go down,, I know that sounds backwards,, but thats how it works on a bow,,,