Author Topic: Latest  (Read 2157 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Latest
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »
I guess Wonderstone can be knapped. I think I need a larger pressure flaker.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Latest
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:54 pm »
That's some pretty stone JoJo.
Did you heat treat any of it yet.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:46:12 am »
now we are talking.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:48:07 am »
That's what Seminole wind was playing with in the Eddie's shop picture "around the campground". I put some in the kiln and took it up to 900dgs. And it actually came out pretty good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 11:21:06 am »
I did heat this. I have no Idea how hot I got it. It was in the kiln closed for about an hour and a half. Then I had it on a timer for 15 on and 15 off for about an hour. 2 of the 4 chunks broke, so I turned it off. The stone was still fairly warm about 9 hours later. This little piece came off with my small copper bopper.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:30:10 am »
Good to see you experimenting with that stuff JoJo .
Hope to see some beauties soon.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »
JoJo, to get those pressure flakes to run across the face of the rock, the things you need most is to get the platforms well over toward the face that the flake is going to come off and put the force on the rock as if you are pushing the flake from it's butt end right out it's distal end, like pushing a train. There are some variables to that, the biggest of which is the type of pad you are chipping on. If you are using a slotted pad, almost all the force will need to be in the direction the flake should travel. It takes a lot of practice to keep the angle perfect as you build pressure. The rock will try it's best to twist on you so that the direction of force changes and becomes angled to take off a short flake. If you are using a soft pad, there is no need to put all the force into the intended flake path. you can build up a lot of pressure in the direction of the intended flake path and then with the wrist begin applying additional pressure across the intended plane of the flake. That sideways pressure will begin the detachment, and the soft pad will prevent the flake from tailing out quickly. The flake can even run across high places in the rock or across a rounded preform. Slotted pressure flaker pads do not do well at shooting flakes over humps and down the opposite side of the hump like a soft pad will do.

It looks like your rock in the above photo is pretty flat on the face. Either flaker pad should work just fine on it, but remember that pressure application on each is a bit different.

Keep chipping and showing the results. You're doing well.

WA

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »
Thanks so much for the info. I'll try some of what you have brought up. My flaker is a copper nail in antler, the antler is too short (end about at my pinky when in my hand) so I can't use my full hand for pressure. Any in for is welcomed by me. I'm very new to all of this. Thanks again.