Author Topic: osage board bow  (Read 1857 times)

Offline bigfish

osage board bow
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:33:10 pm »
Just picked up a 66 by 1.5  by 1 osage board i was going to back it with elk back sinew and use titebond 3 thé question i bave is will one layer be enough

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: osage board bow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:32 pm »
First, why are you using TBIII?  It is inferior to hide glue or even unflavored Jello gelatin.  If you use the hide glue/gelatin, then the wet sinew will shrink within the glue matrix and pull a little reflex into the bow. 

The TBIII will set into plastic hardness and the benefit of the reflex will be lost.  Granted, a single layer will not pull a lot of reflex, but why toss out what benefit you can get for free with a different adhesive?

If you can get your hands on enough sinew to do two layers, it will allow you to shorten the length of the limbs a bit more and really "load" the sinew at full draw.  Osage and sinew seem to love each other and push each other excel. 

And as always, post lotsa pics. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:54:37 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20:54 am »
I'd say hickory or boo would be a better choice as a backing for your osage board. Also, 66" is a bit long to get the benefits from the sinew and the TBIII detracts more. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigfish

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:03:37 am »
I was going to build it as a 52-54 in vos but thé board i ended up with sas 66 so i thought must jeep thé extra

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:55 pm »
if you leave it long you will need to draw it further to be effecient,,30 inches or so
the 52 to 54 inches would be ok for something bout 27 inches of draw
i have heard of good results with titebond(and mixed reviews) but have not done it, and have always used hide glue or knox(which is pretty cheap)
3 or 4 layers would be better and hold some reflex(my layers are thin so maybe the same as above mentioned 2,, its not an exact science) and agree osage and sinew are great together,,

Offline bigfish

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »
I have made many bows over the year just a long time since I have done primitive bows and have only done one sinew backed 20 years ago on this bow I wanted to put horn tips would I put them over the sinew or stop the sinew at the tips

Offline bigfish

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:01:43 pm »
Also what would be better a wide thin limb or a narrow thick limb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 08:21:28 pm »
medium,, then you have room to take off the sides to adjust tiller