Author Topic: bamboo/switchcane/rivercane?  (Read 6077 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
bamboo/switchcane/rivercane?
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:12:03 pm »
From these pictures, can you tell me if it is some kind of 1. bamboo 2. switchcane 3. rivercane?

thanks for helping me out here.  Just want to know what it is that I have.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo/switchcane/rivercane?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:58:42 pm »
Its hard to say if it is switch cane for sure but it looks like it would be good for arrows. Cut a mess of canes and dry them. Cut only the ones that the paper sheath around the nodes has deteriorated. The ones with the paper intact are too immature.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:22:14 pm »
Cut a bunch and send them to me and I will let ya know if their any good. man yer lucky.
Wanna trade I will send ya some snowballs for a few dozen of them ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:20:35 pm »
Hard to say for sure. Where are you located? It could be switch cane, but it looks a bit thick and leafy. Could also be a Sasa or Jap arrow boo? What diameter are the canes? Like Pat said, it looks like good arrow material.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:02:43 pm »
The biggest thing that I have seen in the bunch that I am cutting from, the 1st 4 pictures, are maybe 3/4" at the ground.  The wall thickness is at least half of the inside which is a lot thicker than come really crooked stuff I was given.  It is very straight, and none of it is over 12 feet tall.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:25 pm »
maybe these other pics will help.  See the tale end of the car, and the ramp on the trailer is 6 ft.  The man walking down the road is the owner and he is maybe 5'6" tall.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:16:22 pm »
  Hard to tell. Strip the leaves off one and get a picture of the small end. It looks like Jap arrow boo to me. But down here it gets 12 to 14" tall. Atill looks good for arrows though. Sasa has thicker walls than arrow boo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 01:20:54 am »
I'd say it is not switch cane. Probably one of the Jap arrow boos...that is a mute point...it looks like good arrow material. Collect some, dry it and try. I usually bundles of cane to dry but others just lay it down in a flat surface.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 08:37:42 am »
Take and fast-track several pieces to see what you got there Charles. After harvesting wait about a week and then remove it's rind with a scraper. Since you have to use a heat source to remove moisture for straightening be sure to relieve steam pressure between nodes by drilling a small hole at the leaf stem area. Probably after a week and another heat session you'll have a very good idea of what you've got.

You get that info I sent you about the inserts?-ART B

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:30:37 am »
That looks exactly like what I harvested down south of Houston! I thought it was switch cane but found out otherwise - kinda thinking Jap arrow boo also. Where are you??
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
Paul he's in VA
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:03:20 pm »
Ahh, some of those pic's resembled Houston area.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.