Author Topic: Sinew backing  (Read 1743 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Sinew backing
« on: November 15, 2014, 07:54:41 pm »
I just got done with the first layer of sinew on a 66 inch osage flat bow. I have a whole new respect for those of you who do it, and do it well. It took me just under 5 hours. Round one complete!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:24 pm »
JoJo,
It's not really that tough........the toughest part is the processing the stuff.  Osage Outlaw processed most of the sinew I have used and it's good stuff. Thanks OO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:17:22 pm »
I processed about half of the sinew I have used so far. Tyke did the rest. I hope it turns out good as it is supposed to be a gift. More to come in the AM.

Joe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:34:05 pm »
Joe, there are a few little tricks that make the process easier. Being totally prepared ahead of time in #1. A wet rag and a bowl of warm water keeps your hands from being sticky and having your sinew bundles separated, laid out and handy. I usually hydrate he sinew first in warm water but I don't know if that is necessary or not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:32:45 pm »
Pat, I am glad you commented. I was using your how to with Gidget on how I did it. Maybe I am just slow, but seeing it was my first attempt I don't feel bad. Just a new admiration for the guys that make it look so good and easy. When I am done with another layer (Hopefully tomorrow) and it has had time to cure, what do you finish the back with? I may put a skin on it, but I really like the look so maybe not. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge that you all do.

Due to it being "Food grade" and I assume too cold in my shop, my wife was awesome and allowed me to do it in the kitchen. Unflavored Gelatin also doesn't smell very good.  :o

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:31:25 am »
I actually added a snake skin back to Gidget today. She's been resting for a month since the sinew went down. I use Tru-Oil for a finish. You can add a thin coat of TBIII to seal the sinew then add whatever finish over that. The TBIII will darken the back up a little. If you wanted to add color use Rit dye with alcohol or leather dye.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:57:51 am »
I do all my sinew backings on the kitchen island.  I use a plastic table cloth from a birthday party to keep the mess from getting on anything.  What are you using for a heat source for your glue and water?  Getting everything to stay at the right temperature and not having to keep adjusting it saves a lot of time for me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 09:42:49 am »
I personally wouldn't back an osage bow longer than about 55.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:03:22 am »
I have a small Crock pot meant for chocolate. It has a thermocoupler in it to keep it at temp. It kept it warm but not hot. I covered my table with old news paper fist, and only had two drips on the floor. It is dry now. Funny how a grown man can get all excited like a little kid on Christmas. Simon, I have never backed one, and didn't intend to back this bow. This is the bow that Tyke made from the stave he got from Mullet. My sister asked if I could get or make him a bow for Christmas. I only have one Osage stave right now, and it will have a good sized hole in the limb, So it will be mine. She said she thinks he will hunt with it (his dad doesn't), so this is an attempt at gaining some weight (as well as cutting it down about 5 inches). I think I will get the antler glued up today, and shape the pin nocks. After I can string it again I will see where more sinew is needed. Thanks again guys!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 10:25:30 am »
pics pics

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 12:15:34 pm »
Soon Jeff, soon. I just went up to the shop the get my glue and antler. My 2 gallon pot of water I use with my steamer was frozen solid.