Author Topic: quick rivercane queston  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Chad

quick rivercane queston
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:23:26 pm »
Hopefully a easy question. Can you collect rivercane in winter?? well right now actually (I live in Southern Illinois if that matters). I found quite a bit. Thanks!
Chad

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: quick rivercane queston
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:05:24 am »
Yes, you can collect it now just be sure it is at least 2nd year growth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chad

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:10:55 am »
thanks for the quick reply Pat.
Chad

Offline Chad

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:51 am »
is there an easy way to identify second year, I thought I read that first year winkles as it drys, is this the only method?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:58:24 am »
mature ones will have branches and fully formed leaves.  The sheathes that are attached at the nodes will be darker or starting to fall apart or gone completely.  On a side note, if you see any that are dark cut them.  I need to cut more to be sure but I've noticed that they seem to be a little more dense.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Chad

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:20:03 am »
mature ones will have branches and fully formed leaves.  The sheathes that are attached at the nodes will be darker or starting to fall apart or gone completely.  On a side note, if you see any that are dark cut them.  I need to cut more to be sure but I've noticed that they seem to be a little more dense.

thanks for the info Tim