Author Topic: know of any knapp in's in nc?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline beartail

know of any knapp in's in nc?
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:20:43 am »
howdy all! do's anyone know of any knapp ins coming up in nc? or where I can find a list of such?thanks a bunch!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: know of any knapp in's in nc?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:33 pm »
Plenty.
 Best bet to to attend one of Steve Watts work shops at the Scheale Museum in Gastonia. your meet people there and get tied in.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:14:23 pm »
Bear tail, are you living in NC?

Been thinking about getting one started near the Uwharries.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline beartail

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:06:26 am »
yep,i live in Goldsboro.dont know of anyone here who knapps.there where a couple people here some years ago but thay went on to different things.seems Im the only one left round here.there isn't any thing to knapp here save glass and such and with rock being so high its hard to do.thats one reason I want to find a knapp in.you can get a little bit of rock and see what your paying for and get a little bit of knowledge at the same time.where are you guys at?

Offline Hardawaypoint

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:20:56 pm »
My buddy Joe moved and Rob Hogan (the guy who owned the farm outside of Chapel Hill where I held my last knap-in) died a few years ago.  That kind of took the wind out of my sails. I liked having a knapping gathering, but don't currently have the place or help to get one going again, though I'm always looking. 

I missed the knap-in at the Schiele Museum in Gastonia last year because of family in town (they really need to work on their timing). I plan to get to the Schiele again in August. My rock pile is getting closer to the ground than it should. There's definitely re-rocking in my future.

I went to the Nahunta Swamp Knap-In near Goldsboro several years ago and had lots of fun.  I wish that one was still going on.

Jim

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »
I think the Schiele Museum is the only one in NC that someone brings rock to sell. There is one in Virginia that Pete Davis hosts (I think) and someone brings rock there. The Classic in Tnn. should also produce some rock and there is one or two in Georgia that people sell rock.

You can look at Kentucky Flintworks, Eric's Rocks and Curtis Cherts to name a few that sells rock. I think they have locations that they will be at in the future to sell some rock.

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes