Author Topic: Fast fligth vs spine  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Jjpso

Fast fligth vs spine
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:38:26 pm »
Hello there.

I've read many different opinions about increasing the spine of the arrow, if one is using fast flight: some people say 3#, others 5# and some 10-15#

What is your personal experience?

Best regards.

Joao

Offline 1442

Re: Fast fligth vs spine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:58:21 pm »
I say  0
If you where using 1/4" grass rope for a bow string you could probably get away with less spine, but a fast flight sting doesn't add poundage to the bow so stiffer spine is un necessary.
Each bow has a preferred spine due to its design and arrow pass location.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »
I say  0
If you where using 1/4" grass rope for a bow string you could probably get away with less spine, but a fast flight sting doesn't add poundage to the bow so stiffer spine is un necessary.
Each bow has a preferred spine due to its design and arrow pass location.

Sorry but, I can't quite agree......I've shot a lot of B50 strings and a lot more Fast flight type material, and I can say that fast flight shoots a little heavier spined arrows than a B50 string from the same bow.  Just my experience.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:34:14 pm »
Fast flight does seem to impart more energy to the arrow. You can use a smaller dia. string which translate to faster string speed, faster arrow. There is no set formula for fast flight, you just have to experiment with spine.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:04:24 am »
Ok, Thanks for the opinions.

For instance, my bow is a pyramid board bow, 55# at 25" draw (my actual draw length), i shoot from the hand and the grip is bit over 1" thick, the string is fast fligth, what spine would you choose for the arrow? I think 45/50 for a 29" arrow would be ok, and if i need i could down the shaft if i need?
What do you think?

Thanks,

Joao

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
I think it is a little light....50/55 might be better at that length with a 125 gr point.  Make sure you have the stiff side of the shaft against the bow.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:46:16 am »
Remember you are reducing the spline by 5lb when you add inches over 28, and adding 5 lbs when you go inches shorted than 28. :) FF will make it shoot a little heaver splined arrow, maybe 3 or 4 lbs, not very much and may not be able to tell the difference with a fletched arrow. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 01:26:03 pm »
  I agree with Pappy the spine responds to acceleration, a fast flight will accelerate slightly faster so will use a littel more spine. I usually round off to about 5# for fast flight and skinny strings. Faster bows will need more spine than slower bows for the same reason.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 04:13:10 pm »
Ive cant remember anymore because Ive used FF for so long on every bow I own. I do know that I draw 28" and my 29" 50-55# parallel arrows fly great from any bow 50-60#.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:49 am »
And that is about what I find Pearl,50/55 at 29 inches would be 45/50's, about 5 to 10 under usually flies well out of all my self bows, if they are cut to center I may get by with a little heaver splined arrow. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 10:31:24 am »
      If I am shooting a d/r self bow cut close to center at 55# I use a 28" arrow with about a .550 deflection, I draw about 26 1/2'.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
I didn't hunt with my Osage bow while at Pappy's because I put a FF string on and I wasn't happy with the arrows I use for that bow. They seemed to have a hec of a "kick" when I shot them and were hitting all over the target.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 06:54:22 am »

I didn't hunt with my Osage bow while at Pappy's because I put a FF string on and I wasn't happy with the arrows I use for that bow. They seemed to have a hec of a "kick" when I shot them and were hitting all over the target.

That means that there was more energy puted in the arrow?

Thanks all for your answers

Best regards,

Joao