Author Topic: Old new guy wants to build a bow.  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Bckskin2

Old new guy wants to build a bow.
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:10:28 am »
Hi, I am an old guy new to bow building. I sometime suffer from project deficit disorder. I need to build something I can do in a reasonable amount of time with hand tools. I have wanted to build my own bow since I was a kid. I have seen several board bow build along's. I have a lot of hand tools from wood carving. I would really like to build an ERC with rawhide backing, but may start with hickory as it is easier to find. There is a hardwood shop in Pekin and I want to try them before I buy a board from Menards. They may have better wood. I may buy a 2x and try to get someone with a table saw to rip it for me. Does it sound like I am headed in the right direction.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Old new guy wants to build a bow.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:21 am »
Your in the right place, welcome! I would definetly try hickory before erc. ERC can be abit fickle and hickory can usually handle a few beginner mistakes... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:34:05 am »
Welcome to PA. There are quite a few of us "older" guys here so don't be intimidated by these young whipper snappers.  ;)
 Jump right in and ask questions. We love pics here too so don't be shy with the camera.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:36 am »
Yeah, we were all young once but we grew out of it! :laugh:
Welcome aboard.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bckskin2

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:27 am »
Thanks, once I get a board I will post pics

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:59 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:41:10 am »
Bow building seems to turn the clock backwards a bit.  So git to it, & best of luck!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:01:20 am »
Us old folks seem to be in good company here for sure!
Welcome !!
Hickory boards are a good place o start so get at it
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:41 am »
This hobby also seems to endear ya even more so to the grandkids!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline John D

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:51 am »
Good to meet you!  I sure like hickory for board bows.

I used to live near Aurora and I've heard [then] that the shop in Pekin had good stuff. 

My suggestion, based on experience with my local hardwood supplier, is that you explain what you're building, tell them you're looking for a very specific-grained board (see George's site), and assure them that if they let you pick through the stacks you'll put 'em back together neatly when you're done.  That right there has bought me a lot of freedom at at the mill.  Also, showing up to pick through the stacks when they're slow is also helpful :) 

Also, you'll want to read some of the existing posts on dealing with hickory's reaction to humidity (growing up in IL, I remember humidity and I don't miss it.  If the relative humidity gets above 25% here, I get cranky).  Research into how to finish your bow and how to store it to minimize the effects of humidity on Hickory. 

That's my two cents. Let us know how it goes!

John D.

Boise

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:22:47 am »
A good hard maple board makes a great bow and it ain't near as affected by humidity as hickory so take that into consideration if your in a area with hi humidity
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »
A good hard maple board makes a great bow and it ain't near as affected by humidity as hickory so take that into consideration if your in a area with hi humidity
X2 what bubby said. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Bckskin2

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 07:41:08 am »
I will look at Maple also.
Thanks for the tip.