Author Topic: One more under my belt  (Read 1806 times)

Offline mhof86

One more under my belt
« on: November 04, 2014, 08:52:22 am »
Took advantage of a day off and finished this all up except for the finish (open to suggestions). It is red oak (board bow) and came in at 32# at 29". No full draw picture because I am currently at home by myself but as soon as I am able I will get one up. It is cloth backed and the handle is leather wrapped with artificial sinew on either side and on the nocks. Overall I was happy with this one, some things  I want to work on is just the fit and finish. I am also not sure what I want to put on the belly to weather proof a bit.

Had a lot of fun with this one and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: One more under my belt
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:06:19 am »
Congrats on gittin' it done!  Color contrasts look good!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:49 am »
Yeah, I like the contrasts too.  I recently finished a bow with paraffin per the Dean Torgue method from his book "Hunting the Osage Bow".  Pretty easy and good moisture protection.  Check it out.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:27 am »
Thanks Knoll, I will be sure to look that up thanks Drewster.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:34 am »
Great start. Don't worry about the low poundage. Your tiller(at least braced) looks good. Now is time to start on your next one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01:30 am »
Thanks Pat this is for my wife so she can shoot with me. She has shown interest so the low weight was an unforeseen benefit. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:09:50 am »
Good for you and her.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:18:52 am »
Yup we met at Cabelas and when I found out she enjoys shooting, camping, and the occasional hunt I married her!