Author Topic: 2nd bow under my belt  (Read 1422 times)

Offline mhof86

2nd bow under my belt
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:32:26 pm »
So I tried to get a quick picture of my second bow this morning before leaving for work. I will get a couple decent ones to post later tonight. This came out 70" ntn and is pulling just over 45# at 29". No backing and it took about 2 3/4" of set after a couple hundred arrows.  The bow is sitting next to my first attempt at a few arrows.

They shoot alright with 2 being significantly more accurate (about 4" group at 15yds for the 2 "better" ones, probably 10-12" group with all 4 together). They are REALLY heavy though for this draw weight at least from how they feel. I will post something up in the arrows forum as I have some further questions on these.

2 Fun projects and I thought I would share them with you guys. Let me know what you think.

Offline bow101

Re: 2nd bow under my belt
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:43:53 pm »
Have to see more pics to make a judgement call.  Why did the bow take over 2" of set after 200hundred shots..?  What was the set before shooting it in.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline mhof86

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:32:32 pm »
I made that unclear in the post. After tiller in it had about 2" of set right off the tree. After shooting in it gained another 3/4". Hope that is a better way to explain.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:30:46 am »
Here are some more pictures. I wish the close ups of the limbs showing the grain would have come out more clear. I need to get a better camera, the cell phone just doesn't cut it. Both bows I have made the top limb is bending more than the bottom, not sure if this has something to do with the way I have it in the tree while tillering or it is just a novice mistake on my part. At full draw I don't notice it as much... Maybe someone here can shed some light on this issue for me. I also had a pretty low grip on that picture haha not to proud of that one either.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:38:43 am »
I somehow missed the type of wood you used. The tiller is very good.
Set is decent. Not to worry.
I am wondering why the handle area is so large though.
I like the top bending a bit more anyway.
The proof is in how it draws and whether the handle pressure is even.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mhof86

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »
I used red oak. The handle pressure I am guessing you mean does it feel like the top or bottom is doing more work than the other? The handle being so thick is due to me being gun shy about removing to much wood and making it to weak through the handle.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16:42 pm »
Lets put it another way. Why is the handle so long? :D :D

Offline mhof86

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 11:34:19 pm »
Lol DC the handle is so long because thats what the build along called for. This was a build I got online and I followed along. Now that I see it in a picture it does look a bit longer than needed.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:49:51 pm »
It's a good idea to extend the riser if you're cutting a shelf in. Bringing your fade into a place with a notch is a recipe for disaster.
Likely the plan you followed was influenced by that.