Author Topic: Boo-Bloodwood Tiller check - tragedy strikes  (Read 3985 times)

Offline KS51

Boo-Bloodwood Tiller check - tragedy strikes
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:15:09 pm »
I've trying to find time to work on this since July and I think I'm almost there.  This is 66" NtN and I'm shooting for 40#@ 30".  Here it is pulling 29"  I think it may be a little less bendy coming out of the right fade.  What is everyone elses opinion?

It started with 1-1/4" reflex and still has about 1/2" when unstrung.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:15:00 am by KS51 »

Offline DC

Re: Boo-Bloodwood Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:29 pm »
I think you're right but I'm new at this. I like your chalkboard.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:34:41 pm »
from here your right limb looks a bit stiffer from about 3" past the fade to mid limb. the left limb looks peachy :)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:31:33 am »
I say Cody pretty much nailed it.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:55:21 am »
from here your right limb looks a bit stiffer from about 3" past the fade to mid limb. the left limb looks peachy :)

+1
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:21:34 am »
If I was that close I would shoot it a bit before I did anything,you only talking another inch ,what is you weight at 29 ??Probably could use a few scraps where Cody is talking if you got the weight to spare but I would still shoot it some first,that can change things a lot sometimes. :)   
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:28:50 am »
Which limb is your top one? If it's the left you better just leave things alone. As Pappy says things can change when you shoot it and actually draw it the way you shoot rather than how you stress it on the rack.
 The lower limb tends to start bending more over time for many guys that got too picky with even tiller.

Offline KS51

Re: Boo-Bloodwood Tiller check - tragedy strikes
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 12:20:59 am »
Well, it was not to be.  I was doing the final shaping on the handle and nocks and giving it a good sanding in prep for finishing when I discovered this

How it didn't explode on the tiller tree is beyond me, but it is not safe to shoot.  I think the next one will be a touch longer and bend through the handle.  I think the basic dimensions are good, given that the limb width and thickness are about right for the poundage.  Just think I asked to much of this Boo.  I'm impressed that the Bloodwood I got was so compression strong.  Glad I still have 3 more bows in that board.

Ken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 01:24:14 am »
Saturate it well with super glue and give it a wrap.  ;)  What do you have t loose.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »
Shoot it 'till it blows! Then post pictures! You can wear protective gear, if you want. Speaking on a personal note, my learning curve will spike wonderfully, if you document your disasters. :)
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline KS51

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 08:42:46 pm »
Shoot it 'till it blows! Then post pictures! You can wear protective gear, if you want. Speaking on a personal note, my learning curve will spike wonderfully, if you document your disasters. :)

Ha Ha, while I have more than once been an object lesson on what not to do, I don't know that I have the nerve to intentionally have a bow explode in my hands.

However, I am going to try a patch job and get a few arrows out of her.  But, I suspect it will be a wall hanger after that.  I will post a full draw pic if the patch works.  I don't do video, so it's not likely any tension failures will get recorded.

Ken

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 09:00:00 pm »
do as pat said I've done it with boo that bad
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KS51

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »
do as pat said I've done it with boo that bad

That's what I'm going to try.  Just have to pick up some linen thread tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes after that.

Ken