Author Topic: Baker's Dozen Arrows  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Buck67

Baker's Dozen Arrows
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:53:32 pm »
I made these arrows up for a friend.  They are 31" long and have a spline weight of 35 to 40 pounds.  He is recovering from shoulder surgery and this seems to be a size and weight that he can shoot.

I turned the shafts from Poplar.  The arrows are two fletched.  The paint pattern is copied from a Creek arrow in the Oklahoma Historic Society museum as shown in Jim Hamm's "Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers".  The shafts were sanded with 220 grit, boned, shellacked, sanded again and then brush painted with acrylic paint. 

The arrows have a 125 grain field point.  The feathers and self-nock are reinforced with black cotton button thread glued with hot hide glue.  The feathers are fastened with fletching tape.  The white feathers were bought.  The natural turkey feathers were given to me by some of my Turkey hunting friends.

The arrows arrived safely and the new owner had a chance to shoot them from 25 yards before he got too cold and had to go back inside.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:26:47 am by Buck67 »

Grasshopper Mouse

Re: Baker's Dozen Arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 04:12:11 pm »
Those are really nice.
The forward placement of the color is something we don't often see but everytime I see it I like it.

Guy

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:20:31 pm »
Nice looking bunch of arras...... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:17:18 pm »
Gotta hunch pic doesn't do 'em enough justice.  Nice!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline tlow13

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:51:44 pm »
Hey I'm new to the whole arrow making thing, and I was wondering what exactly you meant by you "turned" the shafts. I have an uncle who has a lathe and when he talks about turning I know what he means, but I want to make sure I am understanding how this all works.

Your arrows look beautiful by the way!

Offline Buck67

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:56:13 pm »
I bought a newly invented and patented tool from a friend.  He uses it to make ramrods for muzzleloaders but it makes arrow shafts just the same.  The tool acts as a steady rest and cutting bit all at one time.  The rules on this forum don't allow mentioning tools like that but if you PM me I can give you his contact information.  I can turn a 1/2" X 1/2" square rod on my lathe down to a 5/16" shaft complete with sanding in about 5 minutes.  Some of these arrows have 5/16" shafts and some were 1/64" thicker.

Hope I haven't broken any forum rules.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:47 am »
Nope, you haven't, ;) good looking arrows, very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dueb

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:25 pm »
so those are 5/16th poplar, buck? just making sure...
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
$1.67 for a bakers dozen?  I'll take two dozen!

Mighty fine looking bow bullets!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:14 am »
dueb';I was carefully working down to the 35-40 pound spline weight.  So some of the arrows are 5/16 and some are a 1/64 thicker.

Offline ehvhram

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:05:41 am »
those look great!

Offline dueb

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »
alright, thanks buck!  ;)
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:59 pm »
You can mention a company name but you can not add a direct link to that company unless they are PA advertisers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »
Thanks Pat.  The inventor and producer of the ramrod tool is:

MICHAEL LEA & DAUGHTER
2109 SUMMIT ST
COLUMBUS,  OH  43201-1351

(614) 291-4757

With this tool I am able to turn shafts ranging in size from 1/2" to 1/4" and lengths as long as I can cut the wood.  I''m turning 36" long shaft material on a Delta Midi Lathe with a 24" bed.  I figured out how to use a 4 X 4 clamped to the workbench with a hole drilled in it at the dumb end of the shaft.  Turning at a low speed of 850 RPM I don't need any bearings, I just drop some beeswax in and let the wood spin.  It's noisy but it's cheap.