Author Topic: Elm stave  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Tymac2014

Elm stave
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:50 pm »
I am brand new to this so I thought I'd ask. I cut down a nice branch of elm and looking at the growth rings it appears it is majority sap wood is this wood any good to make anythjng with? Iv got it sealed on both ends but haven't split it yet, from what I've read I need some more wedges. Thanks for the help. The links are pictures of the wood

Offline Tymac2014

Re: Elm stave
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »
I guess the better question would be do I need to chase a ring or just remove this bark (which I'm gonna have to wait for i to dry out to do because it's not gonna come off easily) the log is about 6 inches in diameter

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:22:52 am »
Just remove the bark and that's your back. Be careful though, dint want to damage that back. The bark will probably hold on tight at this point

Offline Tymac2014

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 12:29:09 am »
Yeah that's the only thing I'm worried about I don't particularly trust myself to use a draw knife for the bark so I think I'll just let it dry and let it naturally just come off with time. Thanks for the help!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:01 am »
I know some guys get the rough stuff off with a draw knife and then scrape the cambium off with a spoon, which will keep your back safe.

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:15:13 am »
Holy crap! Thats the best bow wood in the world right there! I have worked it but havent been able to pinpoint the exact species of elm. Anybody know? Bud I gadda tell ya thats better stuff than osage. Whats its dimensions?  Its the purple heartwood you wanna see to know you got the good elm. Man., im drooling.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Tymac2014

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:18:53 am »
That piece I cut is about 6" diameter give or take and 71 inches long. That's good to hear it's good wood. I have two fully grown elm trees in my yard and only took one branch. Good to know I have a good supply.