Author Topic: Silk backing question  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Silk backing question
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:58:06 am »
When applying silk backing with , let's say TBIII, how to you get a smooth finish? or will the excess glue level itself out????
I assume TBIII will color light colored silk to a darker brown color?

Offline DanaM

Re: Silk backing question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:22:56 pm »
I haven't used silk just linen but I just size the back and use my fingers to smooth it all out, then I put another light coat of TB 3
on top of that and smooth that off with my fingers again.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »
What Dana said. Smooth the glue with your finger. Apply the silk keeping it tight and smooth. I put the silk down on one end and clamp it. Then pull it tight with one hand and use the other hand to smooth and apply to the bow.  Then another layer of glue.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:06:50 pm »
Hi,
For things like silk or snakeskins, I like a thin but consistent layer of glue, so I use one of those foam brushes. I paint on a nice even and smooth layer. Start from the grip, clamp the end, and work your way to the tip with your finger to flatten the backing, removing all air bubbles and excess glue. I don't usually put a layer of glue on top of the silk after, just whatever finish I'm going to use.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »
  I size the whole bow limb with TB3. If you use TB3 you don't have a lot of working time. So I keep a bowl of water handy. I lay the silk on the full length of the bow over the glue. Then start smoothing it out from the center, holding my hand on the handle area, working the bubbles to the edge. As the glue dries, it will start losing it's transparency; That's when I start dipping my fingers in the water to keep the silk and glue moist/wet to work the bubbles out. When it is dry, I thin down the glue with water and put another coat on top of the silk.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »
It soaks in. When it dries I sand the edges to make them look nice. Then I brush on some glue on the edges and smooth it out with my fingers. There's info on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

PK

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:47:58 am »
Eastern I just level it with more TB3 Ive use it on 3 bows in a row and Its Sweet to me.Work in 6 inch sections while puling the silk taught.I use 2 layers of silk myself.