Author Topic: wheelbarrow handle?  (Read 3501 times)

jdwilltx

wheelbarrow handle?
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:27:23 pm »
Has anyone ever attempted a bow from a wheelbarrow handle??  I bought one.  Its very straight grained and dense.  I thought it would be hickory but it says made in Brazil.  Maybe its just turned to handle form in Brazil?

What about peach?  I have a piece of peach drying that I want to make a ELB from.  Paul Comstock says any fruit or nut tree will work.  Anyone tried it?

Jeremy

Offline richpierce

Re: wheelbarrow handle?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:11:35 am »
A wheelbarrow handle would make a good billet for one limb.  You could splice 2 together in a Z splice and get a good longbow.  It's too short for anything but a youth bow.

jdwilltx

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:15:18 am »
Thanks.  I have drawn it out and it is ready to cut.  I plan to cut it in half and splice with a z splice.  Any idea what wood it is?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:31:10 am »
I've seen bows made from ax handles that worked out well. As long as the grain is good and the wood has good compression and tensile properties you should be fine.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:35:58 am »
I made one from a hickory splitting maul handle once. I wouldn't recommend buying one to do it though, you can buy a stave for about the same price. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jdwilltx

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:48:30 am »
No one ever tried the peach?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:50:15 am »
Peach should make a good bow. I have never tried it but others have used plum and other fruit woods with good results.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC