Author Topic: osage recurve wonky but shoots great  (Read 1757 times)

Offline H Rhodes

osage recurve wonky but shoots great
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:55 am »
This bow hasn't received much finishing work yet, but has been shot a few hundred times and really performs well.  The lower limb comes out of the handle more than an inch stepped down from the upper limb.  I built the handle up with leather so that I could hang on to it and then tillered the bow without the usual tillering tree method.  The limbs were pretty snakey and the upper limb has a big rollercoaster whoopty-do about ten inches from the tip.  I know that the tiller looks sort of crazy on it, but I figured that I would post this bow for all the people who have built an ugly bow that shoots better than it looks.  After the first hundred arrows I like to shoot a 550 grain arrow across the hay field to see how far it shoots as my way of gauging speed.  My really fast bows shoot over a 180 steps.  This one shot three arrows over 170 steps, so I figured it's one of my better 47lb draw weight bows.  It goes back to dead flat afterwards with the hooks sticking up over three inches from the table.  This ugly stick really wanted to be a bow.  Tillering was done by looking at a shadow on the wall in the afternoon sun while drawing the bow.  When it got to where it felt good in the hand and hit where I wanted it to, I quit scraping on it.  This ugly duckling shoots so straight and quiet, it might be a contender for my hunting bow this year.  57" nock to nock.  47lb @ 27" 1 1/4 wide at the fades down to 1/2 tips.  Made from an osage stave from an old fence post.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage recurve wonky but shoots great
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:49:00 am »
Wonky can be good if it works.  ;D  Looks like it works!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:42 am »
I may name it "Wonky"! ;D  Not much of a name, but in my world, if a bow gets a name it must be a shooter!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:56:26 am »
 8)   Wonky is a great name and fits her personality.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:53 pm »
Lovely wonky lady there. Howard please through that phone away and use a camera, the pics do not justice to that nice worked bow!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:57:10 pm »
Lovely wonky lady there. Howard please through that phone away and use a camera, the pics do not justice to that nice worked bow!
Ha!  Thanks Simon, and I know, I know!  You aren't the first person to suggest that I get a real camera.   :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Klondike

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 03:12:44 pm »
That's awesome, love it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:09:09 am »
Nice job to get a shooter out of what looks to be a challenging piece of wood. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:59:25 am »
I would call that beautiful, not wonky. Great work! I like bows that are anything but to begin with!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:10:19 am »
Howard I'd say that one is tillered well bud...Like them flipped tips...Your making a great come back and wish you luck this season. I start Saturday morning Lord willing...
                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:39 am »
Thanks Pappy.

JoJo thanks for the compliment and i feel the same way.  It seems that eeking a bow out of a twisted up little scrap of wood is what rings my tuning fork these days.  It always tickles me when an arrow comes screaming out of one of those "reject stave" bows and hits right where I am looking.  I got a sister to that one that I chased a ring on a couple of days ago.... ::) My addiction didn't get any bettter over the summer.

Thanks Don.  I will do some finishing work on that one and hopefully post some better pics later.  Good luck this season. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi