Author Topic: heat tempering AFTER sinew is applied: RESULTS  (Read 2133 times)

Offline smoke

heat tempering AFTER sinew is applied: RESULTS
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
After receiving sage advise, I decided to ignore it . . . well, some of it anyway.  I decided that I would add about 3/4 inch of additional recurve to the tips and if the sinew near the tips reacted badly, my repair job would be minimal.  As many of you predicted, the sinew separated from the bow near the curves but was easy to reapply.   So . . . I learned something about the thermal limits of hide glue and still managed to increase my draw weight a tad.  Thanks to all who commented!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:48:58 pm by smoke »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: heat tempering AFTER sinew is applied
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:13 am »
I have heated some to tweak the tips or minor alignment adjustments,you can do that if you heat really slow and just get it hot enough to do what needs to be done with no ill effect,as far as a full blown heat treating or adding reflex to the whole stave after sinewing I would say no,but never really tried because I feel pretty dang sure it will make a mess. :) :) You might pike it to add a little weight or maybe flip the tips if you are really careful.JMO. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:31:34 am »
Is there any room for another layer of sinew?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:02:31 am »
Thanks guys.  There is room for another layer of sinew but I don't think another layer will give me what I want.  I have already flipped the tips . . . perhaps a full recurve?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:16:59 am »
I'd say learn to live with that bow and make another. If u add sinew it will bring up the weight. If u do reverse brace the bow and pull into reflex then sinew and leave it alone. It will reflex and add weight. How much.,, who knows. So it's up to u
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:39 am »
Leave it be smoke. That's my advice. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »
yes I think heating that much will make the glue soft again,,
yes adding sinew will bring up the weight,,,, try that first before you give up,(many add sinew layers after dry),, it wont hurt anything to add sinew,, gently pull the bow into a little more reflex when you do the next layer,, that being said,, I did do the same thing on a bow I missed weight,,  I put more sinew ,, the weight went up,, I did not get much increased performance,, I feel I did not but enough reflex into the bow,,, it still shot well,,