Author Topic: How does an official become an official  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Badger

How does an official become an official
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:51:15 pm »
         This is one of a few more technicalities we need to discuss. I think this process will weigh heavily on how respectable and reliable this group will be recieved by the archers and general public who are interested. I see some tradeoffs to be made here. We are looking for solutions that will best serve the archery community. I tend to favor a method that will alllow for easy small startup groups to begin forming, this poses some immediate problems but we may choose to just live with it for the sake of more opportunities to go out and have fun testing our bows.

Very little screening would be done, we would almost have to accept everyone who applied, overall I think we belong to a great community and doubt we would have much problem but I am sure we would have some problems. Egos and competition can be slightly corrupting. Our officating process could cast a shadow of a doubt on our organization and put slightly less value on achievements. Minimizing this problem I feel would be preferable to attempting to eliminate it in my view.

I would propose a getting off the ground program as follows. Minimum flight shoot could consist of 3 archers, 2 officials minimum whose friendship does not go beyond archery.

Rules should be made easy to follow and learn, officials must demonstrate to a committee member via e email or phone that they understand the rules and possibly have a minimum time of involvement with archery. Not much more than that. As a matter of fact applying officials should communicate with at least 2 committee members before being accepted.

Hopefully we will have a board of directors that will rotate amoung the officials who will be promoted up and willing to serve a term to help out. Members would vote on officials running for office.

Officials would demonstrate the ability to aquire and maintain all needed equipment to set up a flight shoot, even if that meant working with his own local grew.

The committee will make available a detailed list of the minimum items that must be aquired with an estimated cost. The committee will also supply a video of the flight shooting process as a learning tool. I will go to my local archery range and recruit about 5 people who have never been through the process and then do a walkthrough from start to finish in about 30 to 40 min. I am going to do it unedited.

I can't think of anything else right now I just wanted to get the converstaion started