Author Topic: a Bow for Uncle Harold  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
a Bow for Uncle Harold
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:49:12 pm »
My wife's Uncle Harold will be 89 years young in a couple months. 

Earlier this summer we attended a float trip on Missouri's Black River with Uncle Harold's family.  He and his immediate family have organized this annual outing for years and years.  We were talking around the campfire that Friday night and somehow guy conversation turned to bow hunting.  Harold then proceeded to tell us about his years as a target shooter in the St Louis area.  Seems that back in the day (70's I believe) archery target shooting TEAMS were not unusual.  Harold and his teammates traveled quite a bit competing in these events.  Lotsa good stories.  And he was very interested in my experiences making bows.  He still shoots a crossbow, but sold all his bows years ago.

Ok, ok ... getting to the point.  As a birthday gift, I was thinking of making a bow for Harold.  But am very uncertain what draw weight range would likely be appropriate.  Like I said, Harold will be 89.  Any of ya'll up in that age rage or made bows for that age range who could suggest what would be appropriate.  Harold is of small stature.  I was thinking of 25-30 lb @ 24".

Michael
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

Re: a Bow for Uncle Harold
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:36 pm »
Sounds about right
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »
If i were to make a bow for someone else and wasn't sure of drawlength, id take it a bit further. Maybe 30# at 27

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:56:33 pm »
Nice gesture. Why not ask him? Barring that make one at 35# and see if he can draw it. If not begin to remove wood from the belly.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:00:53 pm »
In perfect world, I'd like to keep it a total surprise.  Ya'll have provided good strategies to consider.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857