Author Topic: tree or blind? Which are you?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Tiredtim

tree or blind? Which are you?
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »
I have a question for all of you hunters. I'm getting pretty excited about the up coming hunting season (or as we call it huntn' season).  This will be the first year that I hunt totally with bows I have made.  And mind you, they are nothing to what some of you have done but I'm proud of them.  But to my question, do you hunt out of a tree stand or ground blind?  If you use a blind, do you have pics for some ideas?  Thanks

Offline lostarrow

Re: tree or blind? Which are you?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »
Ground . No blind. Natural cover with some embellishment .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:06:40 pm »
I've hunted from trees for many years but the older I get the more grounded I feel. I'll still hunt from trees but I'll be hunting from the ground more. I don't like pop up blinds because they limit my vision too much so either natural blind, leafy or ghillie suit or a combo of these.  Movement is your enemy! Deer don't see color(more or less) and don't have binocular vision like we do so they don't see details like we do but they have been tuned in to movement. Also, and most important of all is working with the wind in your favor. Deer can see movement and become alert. If they hear something odd they become alert. If they smell you, thy are gone...and you can't disguise or cover human scent to a deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:11:30 am »
Tree on a trail morning or evening,
or damp day cat walkin with camo.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:53 am »
I still use tree stands but spend most of the time on the ground. I like to hunt on the ground when the wind is blowing because of all the movement in the woods. I usually carry in a stool to sit on and try to find blow downs and settle in. killed a buck last year at 15 yards and had some very close encounters with some doe that I let go. I've also have had luck just standing in cover and waiting in thickets along a trail. When there is no wind it's hard to ground hunt because the deer see you move a lot better. I hunt where there is a lot of hunting pressure and ground hunting can get you in a lot of spots that are overlooked by most hunters. Killing a deer with my self bow off the ground is one of my goals this year. I've been shooting a lot of 3d courses with my self bow and the last time out made 20 for 20 kill shots out to 20 yards, most shots around 15 yards.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:02 am »
Dependes on what i am hunting,but for whitetail, 90% of the time is from a tree.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:47 am »
Mostly from 15' ladder stands.  This year I have set a goal to hunt from the ground with all equipment that I have made from the bow, arrow shafts/arrows and stones heads.

Getting up in years and don't have many seasons left and this has been one of goals since I started to make my self bow.  If I happened to get a deer then mission accomplished and then my total focus is getting my grandkids into the woods.

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:13 am »
70/30 with 70% in a tree stand of 12ft or less. It seems the angles from tall stands still elude me after all these years. I hunt mostly from the ground on public land and out of my ladder stands on my place and our lease. The wind direction on the ground is super critical as Pat said. My greatest trad archery accomplishment was taking a coyote on the ground with a recurve at 7yds, called in using my mouth, 30yrold woolrich green plaid jacket, gray wool cap , and army surplus pants. I was using a huge black walnut tree as a hide and the wind was dead in my mug! Making kissy noises the last 20 yards to bring him in, had the wind not been right that would have never ever ever happened.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
Ground hunting is fun and romantic, but boy it can leave a freezer empty more often than not.  At least up here anyway. Even ground blinds have to be covered in brush and totally inconspicuous to fool them. Deer get pounded in Michigan, pounded.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:23:14 pm »
Deer are pretty skittish here too. Our deer won't let you get away with a lot of the stuff I see on TV. Those big buck will look right up at the camera, lick his lips, and keep feeding. Ours don't even have to look up sometimes. They just sense you and run off. I'm 95% in a tree for deer. For hogs I prefer stalk.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »
CAR! ;D

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »
I've been getting into hunting from a blind. I have to admit it's a lot tougher than a tree. Climbing in and out is not as easy as it once was and I'm not as stable up there as I used to be. I think it's the wind current or something because I know I'm not getting old or fat or anything like that!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »
Will hunt from both, but I prefer a ground blind.  More freedom of movement so more comfortable.  If it's made right your concealed better than in a tree (my opinion).  Getting the wind on them is key for me.  I usually build a brush blind from all the cedar around.  I try and set up in a cedar break so that it's natural, and watch a good trail.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 05:52:26 pm »
I have both but will opt for nothing this year. I will be out with my trad as I haven't had time to finish my selfbow yet. I have been at it for 2 years but Patience is the game. This winter tho  :D