Author Topic: Pop-up campers  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Ben M

Pop-up campers
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:45:53 am »
Hi, folks.
I saw some nice pop-up camper setups at MOjam this year and it's got my interest. I have a half ton GMC with a V-8 and a pop-up looks like just about the right thing for my family of five. Does anyone have any input as to what to look for in a pop-up? I'd like to know about your experience and what you'd recommend.
-Ben

Offline TRACY

Re: Pop-up campers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:07:03 am »
Got one last fall Ben. Bought a used 18 ft Coleman Utah in great condition. Pulling it with same truck and no problem. Family of four with dogs and we have no problem hooking up  and going camping on the weekend or short vacations. Wish we would have done it sooner.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »
If you buy used? Look the slide outs over real well for anything bent or broke, look the "canvas" over even better for holes or rips, same with the screens.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »
Personally I would stay away from canvas products.   If a used one does not have a strong annoying odor it should be ok.

If you buy used? Look the slide outs over real well for anything bent or broke, look the "canvas" over even better for holes or rips, same with the screens.
+2
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »
...and be sure the pop-up crank and cables are in good shape and work smoothly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:35:54 pm »
As mentioned, be careful with canvas products.  Pop ups are just like tents.  You have to set them back up when you get home to make sure they are dried out.  Wife and I have a 23" travel trailer (lite version) with a single slide out and having been pulling with a 1/2 ton truck for the past 10 years.  My dad had one and couldn't wait  to get rid of it after the first season.